Sump in a 75 gal cichlid tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordinho80

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am lookin into acquiring a 75 gal tank shortly and have read about sumps being used...i have a couple of questions if you all don't mind..I was going to use a 10 gal for the sump if i decide to go ahead with it...

1) what is the main purpose of a sump?
2) does the main tank have to be drilled in order to have a sump?
3) besides the 2 tanks, what else would i need in order to set up a DIY Sump?

Thanks much...Mario

PS. Filtration for this tank will be either 2 Fluval 404 Canisters or 1 Fluval 404 and an Aqua Clear 500 HOB - Which would be better???

10 gal is to small for a 75 gal tank. By the time you factor in the space to allow for backflow in the event of power outage you probaby wont be able to run more than 2 gal of water in the sump and this will end up causing the pump to pull in air if not constantly adding water to replace evaporated. A better size for a sump would be a 20 gal tall. This would permit you to run the sump with 8-10 gal of water as well as provide capacity for another 10 gal of water in the event of a power shortage.

1) Sumps Explained

2) No the tank does not have to be drilled (aka ReefReady). You can purchase hang on overflows from many online venders. I perfer U tube overflows over the C shell style.

3) You would need plumbing from the overflow to the sump and plumbing from the pump back to the tank. Preferablly the pump should be isolate with a true union fitting so you can remove the pump from the plumbing in the event of a pump failure or service. Above the true union you should put a ball valve so you can close off the water before disconnecting the true union. Above this ball valve you might want a one way gate vlave. This is not required but just something some people like to have . This prevents water from flowing back into the sump but permits water to flow from the pump.

Back
Top Bottom