Sump Plan Critique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted this in my new log, but I wanted to get some input from all of the DIYers. Here is my sump plan, tell me if you see anything that conerns you or if I am missing any features I might want to incorporate.

Attachments

• Sump Plan.jpg
    Sump Plan.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 509
  • Sump Elev.jpg
    Sump Elev.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 458
Looks fine to me, what is the point of the fan over the return pump? Are you plannning to make a seperate refugium? Or no refugium?

The only thing I see is the section for the return pump is really small and that's where the water level will be affected by evaporation. I guess if you have your float switch in that section for auto top offs you should be fine except maybe for the occasional microbubbles being shot into the display by the pump from when the RO section pours the water into that section.

Thanks for looking.

No, no refugium. I saw somebody else on a website somewhere that installs a fan on some other website. The thought behind it is that this can be used to some effectivness to cool the water by exhausting heat from the chamber when a chiller is not in use. I won't have a chiller.

I have also seen people with fans pointed over the top of their sumps so I figured it was for the same purpose.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

The only thing I see is the section for the return pump is really small and that's where the water level will be affected by evaporation. I guess if you have your float switch in that section for auto top offs you should be fine except maybe for the occasional microbubbles being shot into the display by the pump from when the RO section pours the water into that section.

The water from the R/O reservior will pour into the "unclosed" chamber next to the return box.

I just found another problem recently though.

My skimmer needs 8" of water to operate it efficiently. I am unable to get the water that deep because of the filter socks. Well, that is suspecting that they shouldn't be submersed.

Is it ok to have those socks under water, meaning I can raise my first baffle up?

I beleive it can. As long as the rims are above the water so that it does not miss anything.

A filter sock is just more maintanence (must be washed out every few days) and if you don't have bioballs in your sump, I would skip using them.

Here's my sump. Might give you some ideas. From right to left....
drains from tank upstairs
skimmer and GFO reactor
fuge w/cheato
frag section
open section for external return pump
ato3_5-09.jpg

Why the screen before the sock? and why the bypass before the sock? i would think you would want to raise the water level anyway, you re wasting a lot of space.

oh, and the fans are going to get wet.

Back
Top Bottom