Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I found a danio in my sump again, it happened the first time like 2 days after I installed the pvc overflow so I went to lfs and was bsing with the guy he said they sometimes use gutter guard and they sell it I wrapped it around the pvc overflow intake, it was working for a few day but this morning I see one got thru. I have seen white plastic grid stuff used for crafts, you pull yard or string thru it to make designs, anyone have a clue what I'm talking about or if it's aquarium safe. I actually used a dremel to smooth off all the pipe edges, ya the insides of ALL the pipe, so he probably didn't slam any sharp edges but it can't be good for them.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yep you was right, I'm not diggin the sump size, the water drops too fast and thats with no media at all. My plan is to make the center piece between the doors move with a door, I'll brace the top so I'd don't loss any structure and that should allow me something in the range of 39" ~9" and 10" front to back. I'm really just thinking about making a new stand with a huge sump area and use this stand for another tank, it's too small where I need the room.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Starting to think about drilling an overflow. Using the DC 1320 the 1/2" overflow can take up to setting 3 of 6 but at that point it is in full siphon and that is just too close to the edge, if something even stutters I'm getting water on the floor and before I build a second tube to be the half full overflow I think I should just get started on the right path and start figuring where I want holes. I have also spent enough time "trying" to get my hands down in that tight space, na, I'ma go buy a big stand with one big door then stick the largest sump I can in it, just playing around with the pump today I was ready to start smashin stuff, and it's stupid to tailor all this to a stand and sump size I hate. You guys could have told me till you was sick of it, sometimes I just have to do to know. I should and could build a stand but I think I'll go the easy route and just buy one from a small lfs, they looked to be all hardwood but I was only glancing.
That drilled overflow could be made silent also right, like I messed with this one till it was almost void of sound, no reason I can't get similar performance from any pipe I hope.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yea I'd start over : )
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

My tank had a sticker on the bottom that said tempered. The tank is a 60 gallon from the marineland Heartland set. Any simple way to tell if the side is tempered or should I just rehome the fish and get at it. I have time so I could setup another tank to house the fish while I drill and then play with the drain over a few days then drain it to slide it back into final position. I did most of the drain work on the current setup full of water and about 3 inches from the wall, not this time.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked View Post
My tank had a sticker on the bottom that said tempered. The tank is a 60 gallon from the marineland Heartland set. Any simple way to tell if the side is tempered or should I just rehome the fish and get at it. I have time so I could setup another tank to house the fish while I drill and then play with the drain over a few days then drain it to slide it back into final position. I did most of the drain work on the current setup full of water and about 3 inches from the wall, not this time.
Most of the time it's only the bottom. I've never tried drilling, to much of a wuss I guess. I would rather use a box then screw my tank up.

Tags
project, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com