sump setup for 125 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably going to get some conflicting info on this one. I choose to tap a little off of the drain from the tank to feed the fuge. This way it does not cost anything in the form of flow back to the tank. The fuge then overflows into the rest of the sump to join the water that comes from the tank.

Need some help with pluming my sump. Overflow just arrived today. It is a Eshopps rated at 900gph with two drain lines. Guestion is should I use pvc, or a clear flex line 1in. dia.? On the drain line To prvent a flood when power goes out should I use a check valve or just make sure it sucks air before the sump would over flow? Should the overflow lose prime when the return does?

new overflow box just arrived today. It is an ESHOPPS 900gph. I had a DIY pvc pipe overflow to start, just did'nt like the way it looked. Off to home depot in the morning for some new pvc, bluck heads are bigger.

Attachments

• overflow box 001.jpg
    overflow box 001.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 63
  • overflow box 002.jpg
    overflow box 002.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 65
Make sure you get a couple Unions on the end of those or cleaning is going to be a hassle in the long run.

Does the overflow have a hole in the top with an air hose coming out?
It does not look like the siphon tubes do.

But to keep from losing your siphon... you can shove air hose into each tube until the end of the air hose is at the very top of the siphon tube.
Then attach the other end to a power head(s) or a small pump made for pumping water. ( The pumps cost about about 9 bucks... and I have one on my overflow.) Sure makes starting the siphon easy!

Also.. for the return line.. I have mine going to almost the very bottom of my tank.
At first... when I cut the power to the return pump, a siphon would start(and if I had not been there to turn the power back on.. I would have had 110 gallons of water on the floor.)

So...to prevent a siphon from forming in my return line, I drilled a hole in the return line just below the water line of the aquarium.

Now if the power goes out.. a siphon starts and the water from the tank begins to empty into my sump tank.... BUT when the water level drops below the hole I drilled, air enters the return line and the siphon is killed.

I hope this makes some sort of sense!

yeah thanks for the help, still need to buy some more fittings and some ball valves for servicing sump. What size pvc would you recommend to use. overflow is rated at 900gph? Would 1in inner dia. work ok or would 3/4 be better?

I have'nt pick out the return pump yet. since the sump is 4ft below tank would I need a pump with 900gph at 4ft of head hight or just a pump that is rated at 900 gph?

If you want 900 gph at the tank, you will need to find a pump that can produce that flow at the height you are pumping it. Don't forget to add the height of the water in the tank. Even if you plumb the return to the middle of the tank, you still have to figure in the total height of the water since that head pressure acts against the pump.

Back
Top Bottom