Sump - Skimmer - Fuge (All in one) Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaheli

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had this little idea.. and because of space in my stand, I'd like to optimize it as much as possible - getting as much space as I can. Please check out this simple diagram... Tell me what you think. The thing on the left is a built-in version of an AquaC EV-180/240/etc.

I like the design, because it gives me a good amount of gallons for a fuge without sacrificing functionality. Also, it shares acrylic with the sump, so it would be easier and cheaper to build.

The things I don't like are that the skimmer is non-removable and would be harder to clean (although removable pieces will be made to help with that). And the skimmer will be possibly skimming pre-skimmed water and possibly might skim OUT some good fuge stuff like pods, etc..

To get around that, I plan on putting a baffle between the return pump and the inlet, so overflow water from the tank will be the ONLY thing skimmed and will then overflow into the return pump area...

ONLY skimmed water will pass through the fuge. Which I would imagine is a good thing for the fuge and tank, but would also cut down the amount of current.. allowing for good plant life growth and such.

Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

First of all, my son's name is Micah. How cool. Secondly you stole my idea! LOL. No really I have been conemplating this for awhile now. Your's ins't exactly what I had in mind, but VERY simular in concept. I planned on a more of an aqua C remora/urchin jet injection design. I think it would work fabulously! I will put some of my ideas in print as well. Good thinkin' if I do say so myself. This really comes into play if I make a tank buy today that will have linited space in the stand.

R-

Awesome, I'm raelly glad you like the idea.

What were you going to do differently with the sump design exactly?

The reason I went with the EV series, is beacuse I've heard such good things about it as far as efficiency goes for 1. And for 2, I think finding acrylic tubing would be easier than creating the baffle system in the remora/urchin. There is only 1 baffle in the EV series, and it works well. The overall design is simple.. In fact, I may just use PVC for the foam tower/collection cup. Depends on my budget this weekend. :)

Let me know if you have any ideas about this.

--Micah

Closed Loop or sump

So, I kind of need to combine 2 of my posts into one.

My other post is my concern/query about flow and how much I need and how to efficiently use it.

I was going to use a mag24 (2400gph) for circulation from my sump - meaning that 2400gph would have to go through my sump and refugium. Thats a LOT of flow for a fuge.

So, my current sump design only pumps a desired amount of water through the fuge (determined by a ball valve). The sump/skimmer section is completely separate. I'm curious. What are the drawbacks of having this much flow through a sump (refugium aside) other than needing a high-volume overflow (which is going to be DIY'd with 2 inch PVC and a custom acrylic box setup.)

Any ideas? Or should i just get a Mag 7 or 9 for return and use a closed loop for circulation?

--Micah

Hrmm..

Other than the remora/urchin design as opposed to your EV design (I chose this because of functionality. Keep in mind I am planningon making a smaller display of less that 30 Gal. The remora/urchin design is better suited for a smaller volume, IMO.) I would think insuring you have enough flow to push your skimmer is the biggest concern. Yeah I have no doubt a mag24 would do this with ease, but as you have it designed the two things I note is:

1 - Why not have your driving pump close to the skimmer itself? You will lose some of the power with more head length/height. Also you will be recylcing at least some water that has already been skimmed as well as sending water back to the tank that hasn't been skimmed at all.

2 - Microbubbles! If you have the return pump in the same chamber as the intake from the tank without having a closed loop you will return any gravity created bubbles back to the tank.

I would suggest intake on the same side as skimmer and baffles prior to returnpump. These are just thoughts as I have been too lazy/busy to get my own drawings done. Just something to ponder...

R-

Back
Top Bottom