Surface skimmer mod for my HOB skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently purchased an Eshopp's PSK-75H HOB skimmer, but it only skims from the water column. With the addition of the skimmer to the back of my tank, the HOB filter, which had kept the oily film in check, had to be removed.

I decided to make a surface skimmer box for the PSK. I bought 2 8x10 inch sheets of Lexan from Lowes (about $8), and cut them into 4 pieces. Two pieces were 3.5x8 inches, and two others were 2x8 inches. I notched the top to allow overflow, and used a spare tube of Marineland sealant to bond all the parts.

I'll post pix later tonight when I get home, and will have it in the tank at some point tomorrow.

Note: GE has modified the formula for their "classic" Silicone I product, and it is no longer aquarium safe, even though it states it is 100% silicone. It doesn't appear that any major manufacturer (GE, Dap, & Loctite are the ones I looked at in Lowes and Home Depot) of ordinary caulking/adhesive makes an aquarium safe product. They might be waterproof, but they all carry warnings not to use them in aquariums.

Here are a couple of pix of the box. I was going to widen the notches on the top to permit more water flow, however, it appears that this skimmer may be defective. It's producing lots of foam, but *tons* of noise (I can hear it over 20 ft away). Way more than the "hum" I would expect. I'm going to RMA the unit today and swap it for a Reef Octopus BH-90.

Attachments

• IMG_20131210_060404.jpg
    IMG_20131210_060404.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20131210_060415.jpg
    IMG_20131210_060415.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 145
I widened the slots this morning (snow day!!) and it does a great job of pulling the film, but it is fracking HUGE inside my 20 high. I'm wondering if I hit it with some matte black paint if it will cut down on how...monolithic...it looks in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom