Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

swapping and cycling tips

Hiya guys n gals,

Iv got the oppertunity to buy a 100 us gallon aquarium and iv currently got a 30G but I don't hav space to cycle the 100G while the 30g is still up and running. My filter in the 30g is suitable for the 100g (good salesman ship in my LFS "u can't over filter" more like the price on the big filter suits u better) so... Can I do a straight swap from my 30G into the 100g with the filter, plants, ornaments, gravel, water etc so I wouldn't hav to cycle the 100g obviously the new tank taking the good bacteria from the old tank???

Cheers peeps

Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may see a mini-cycle, but if you don't add any more fish, you shouldn't have too many issues. I am seriously doubting that any filter that doesn't turn a 30g into a vortex would be suitable for a 100g.

Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
You may see a mini-cycle, but if you don't add any more fish, you shouldn't have too many issues. I am seriously doubting that any filter that doesn't turn a 30g into a vortex would be suitable for a 100g.
I agree. If your thirty isn't a torrent I highly doubt that the filter can work for a hundred. I would get some water in the hundred, dechlorinate it, add the filter cartridge or some of the gravel from the other tank and wait it out...also you're probably gonna need a bigger filter for that hundred...

Tags
cycling, swap, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com