SWEETEST NEW PRODUCT, a must see!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nyghtone

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I saw this new product in the spray paint section. It's a two step painting that turns anything clear, glass, acrylic, pvc, you name it, into a mirror!!!

Does anybody have any thoughts on whether this would be a good or bad idea for the back of an aquarium as a backdrop??? The paint would go on the outside of the tank, thus NOT getting in the water etc, but would this be bad for the fish???

I've never had this idea before, and never seen it done either, any thoughts?

Coolness, Joshua...

mirrors are bad, as they tend to freak fish out and that of course stresses them. stress leads to odd behavior and lowers immune system to disease/parasitic infection.

Also, I'm not sure it'd work right...it kinda depends on how the process works..but you'd think that it only makes 1 side a mirror..the other side woule be more like a traditional mirror-back...a grey color.

And I'm not sure you could flip it aroudn and get the same results (as in applyig the paints in reverse order).
It might work...I'd have to see the product first.

But I personally wouldn't do it....mirrors don't exist underwater...I prefer to go more natural, or use flat black backgrounds.

Someone else had a thread here about mirroring the back of the tank using plastic film a while back ... you might dig that up & see how the fish liked it.

I think it had a lot to do with the fish. An agressive fish might see the reflection as a threat & got stressed, but a schooling fish might enjoy the company?!

it might not work for a background... but it could work great as a DIY reflector for lighting hoods (if it actually works like a mirror)! Do you have a brand-name/link to share?

Mirroring is a chemical process using silver, aluminum and lead. I havev done it as a fun chemistry project with my kids. Silver aluminum and lead are BAD things. You do not want them in your tank. I would be very cautious about doing this. If you were to do it, I would suggest doing it only on the outside, doing it on a new tank with nothing in it, and finally making sure to not let any into the tank (that means closing with plastic the top while you do it, because the chemicals will vaporize). Sounds like a cool idea, especially if you are doing a sea grass bed tank, which benefits from a mirror by adding depth, and with ample lush growth docen't freak out the fish. So if you were to do it I would do it on a new tank, and make sure to be about as paranoid as possible when it comes to some of the chemicals getting in.

Andrej

Thanks for the input everyone, I don't have a link or product name, I saw it on trading spaces. I have come to the conclusion that it would be a bad idea because I keep a Powder Blue Tang in a 75 gal tank, which is borderline to start with, and adding another image of a powder would do nothing but start trouble with this fish. This fish is just to precious to treat in such a manner, it's the only fish I've ever seen swim upside down, haha

Thanks, Joshua

maybe finding a piece of wood and painting that and putting the to the back of the tank, that way if the fish dont like it you can easily remove it

(just an idea)

Haha, I meant to say it would be in the spray paint section, that is what they said on trading spaces. I am by no means above typing, or speaking for that matter, things which I don't quite mean, my bad, and thanks for the catch.

Joshua...

Back
Top Bottom