Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Never heard of that. But as of now I have a total of 6 T-5 bulbs and two T-12s. Now, I"m going to go with 12 T-5 bulbs total or maybe 10. The heat isn't too bad. Now the way I wire the lights is as follows: I bought the biggest gauge extension cord and cut the female end off. I hard wired my T-5s to the cord and plugged them in. Now, I run the lights about 8-9hrs daily. My Coraline growth is taking off good, softies are doing good. So far so good.

Here's a link to the pic. Took it with cell phone. Trust me its freaking bright.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/attach...84b1201cb1.jpg

What you see underneath the hood is the duct tape (not the fix all kind, real duct tape) and the HOT filter is filled w/ bioballs- tempo until i get my Berlin system fully operational

Old 04-09-2010, 02:46 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dude it looks good but I'm not so sure on hard wiring the lights to the wall plug. I'd think with out a ballast or some kind of regulator that would eventually cause some kind of issues. Either shorter life span of the bulb, a fire, or something. I actually considered the reflective tape with some shop lights and just changing out the ballasts,but as I am not ready for the lights yet I am holding off a little longer now. How long have you had this set up?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you running regular t-5's or t-5 HO. I don't think HD carries T-5 HO fixtures.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can someone please explain the ballast to me? Cause I've got no idea.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mitch, I can't put it in simple words. A ballast controls the amount of current and frequency that is applied to a fixture, Here is a link that will cover all the bases on the different ballast types.Electrical ballast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Basicly they control the amount of power to be able to start and maintain the operation of a bulb without all the flickering that would accure otherwise.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkroc701 View Post
Dude it looks good but I'm not so sure on hard wiring the lights to the wall plug. I'd think with out a ballast or some kind of regulator that would eventually cause some kind of issues. Either shorter life span of the bulb, a fire, or something. I actually considered the reflective tape with some shop lights and just changing out the ballasts,but as I am not ready for the lights yet I am holding off a little longer now. How long have you had this set up?
The lights are ballast, it came with the fixtures. Now, just like one response about the ballast- These light fixtures came stock w/ 21 watt bulbs, I put 39 watt bulbs on there not flickers and when its turned on, its an instant start up. Softies are doing fine.. but later i will add metal halide from HD.

I've been having this tank set-up for about three months now, so the bio-system is not 100% as of yet. I'm making my own DIY reef rock, sump, and what ever I think I may need.

As for as hard wired, its just like a shop light- That's what they are sold as, they have to be hard wired into something.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

So you do have a ballast? It isn't going from bulb to wall plug? I think I originally read it wrong then. My deal with the 55 fell through so I am looking for another one. Let me know how the MH goes when you upgrade. You gonna keep some of the blue t5's with the MH?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome. Thanks TC.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mitchell,

I have a link on here for ballasts for t5's as well if you ever want to build your own light
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

That'd be great.

Follow my 6G Pico build!

Tags
canopy, diy, t-5

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com