T-5's for a DIY Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so I have seen a few MH set ups and I have questions. I have seen DIY projects that deal with a porcelin sockets. I am curiuos if using the reflective hvac tape and these sockets would work? I mean TC pointed out earlier that a trouble light with an MH bulb is a fire waiting to happen, wouldn't this be one as well. This is being sold as a DIY project. Any idea or suggestions?

Do you have a link to this DIY? It would seem to be a problem because MH put out lots of heat!

PK7, I think it's an overall good article and does stress safety. The alum. tape is the speical tape used to tape up heat ducts and would be my last choice anyway. I mean you are saving tons of money on a DIY so why blow it on cheap tape.

I was only curious. I am looking at a 250 watt ballast right now and looking into a reflective metal to coat the inside of a canopy or a sheild (I found a couple on Ebay but they are for the dual end bulbs not the screw in). I just thought it was a little odd that it said you could use tape as a reflector. I was curious if a touble light wired to a ballast would work as I have found a MH bell (like they use in a warehouse) and it is about the size of a trouble light. It does have the pocelen socket. Should I just use a MH reflector bell and figure out how to mount it inside a hood? Suggestions.

I think you would get better lights with a reflector that was meant for AQ use. the tape is the type that is made of thin metal and the adhesive part is under the metal so that when you use the tape (overlapping) all that shows is the metal.

Back
Top Bottom