T-5's for a DIY Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never heard of that. But as of now I have a total of 6 T-5 bulbs and two T-12s. Now, I"m going to go with 12 T-5 bulbs total or maybe 10. The heat isn't too bad. Now the way I wire the lights is as follows: I bought the biggest gauge extension cord and cut the female end off. I hard wired my T-5s to the cord and plugged them in. Now, I run the lights about 8-9hrs daily. My Coraline growth is taking off good, softies are doing good. So far so good.

Here's a link to the pic. Took it with cell phone. Trust me its freaking bright.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/atta...096211_0_9fd633ccbf09414a8ac46784b1201cb1.jpg

What you see underneath the hood is the duct tape (not the fix all kind, real duct tape) and the HOT filter is filled w/ bioballs- tempo until i get my Berlin system fully operational

img_1096211_0_9fd633ccbf09414a8ac46784b1201cb1.jpg

Last edited:
Dude it looks good but I'm not so sure on hard wiring the lights to the wall plug. I'd think with out a ballast or some kind of regulator that would eventually cause some kind of issues. Either shorter life span of the bulb, a fire, or something. I actually considered the reflective tape with some shop lights and just changing out the ballasts,but as I am not ready for the lights yet I am holding off a little longer now. How long have you had this set up?

Are you running regular t-5's or t-5 HO. I don't think HD carries T-5 HO fixtures.

Mitch, I can't put it in simple words. A ballast controls the amount of current and frequency that is applied to a fixture, Here is a link that will cover all the bases on the different ballast types.Electrical ballast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Basicly they control the amount of power to be able to start and maintain the operation of a bulb without all the flickering that would accure otherwise.

Dude it looks good but I'm not so sure on hard wiring the lights to the wall plug. I'd think with out a ballast or some kind of regulator that would eventually cause some kind of issues. Either shorter life span of the bulb, a fire, or something. I actually considered the reflective tape with some shop lights and just changing out the ballasts,but as I am not ready for the lights yet I am holding off a little longer now. How long have you had this set up?

The lights are ballast, it came with the fixtures. Now, just like one response about the ballast- These light fixtures came stock w/ 21 watt bulbs, I put 39 watt bulbs on there not flickers and when its turned on, its an instant start up.:gangsta: Softies are doing fine:cool:.. but later i will add metal halide from HD.

I've been having this tank set-up for about three months now, so the bio-system is not 100% as of yet. I'm making my own DIY reef rock, sump, and what ever I think I may need.

As for as hard wired, its just like a shop light- That's what they are sold as, they have to be hard wired into something. :zook:

So you do have a ballast? It isn't going from bulb to wall plug? I think I originally read it wrong then. My deal with the 55 fell through so I am looking for another one. Let me know how the MH goes when you upgrade. You gonna keep some of the blue t5's with the MH?

Mitchell,

I have a link on here for ballasts for t5's as well if you ever want to build your own light :)

Yeah I am looking to do MH with T5 Actintics down both sides so I may just get the Ballasts and go from there. First off I need to find a tank. :/

Puncrock, he did not hard wire anything! all he did was wire a plug to his T-5 unit. He now just plug it in like you ror me would do.
"Hard Wire" is when a person wires a unit directly to the house wiring...Bypassing the plug....

TC,

I used to do electrical work (mainly 12 and 24 volt), but thanks for the detailed reminder. When I asked I was thinking he connected the wire to the light bulb connectors (no endcaps just we'll say soldered to the bulb) and the male end of the wire to the wall plug with nothing in between. I apologize if my question was not detailed enough. Again thanks for the detailed lesson/reminder. :)

No problem..We all have to remember that Safety is the most important thing in our hobby. Be it our live stock or our AQ units and all that goes with it. Safety or our hobby will end in a bad way...

Back
Top Bottom