Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

T-5's for a DIY Canopy

I am working on building my own tank custom shape (think of a superman emblem) and I was looking at some T-5 fixtures at Lowe's (yeah I said Lowe's) and was wondering if those would work for a reef tank? The tank will be 5 sided 2' x 2' x 1' x 17" x1'. I have read for a 18" tank front to back you need 6 lamps and 24 front to back you need 8 lamps so I figure with this tight a fit those would be a perfect fit. Any ideas or comments?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm curious as to what inspired the shape.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
As far as I know, Lowes or Home Depot does not carry T5HO bulbs. Normal output T5's, yes, but not High Output (HO). Regular T5's are pretty much useless unless your talking fish only.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mitch,

The tank will be in a corner of the room that is where the idea for the shape came from. I am slowly thinking of a different shape and maybe going larger. More to come on that.

ccCapt,

I was only looking at the fixtures not the bulbs. I can get T5 HO bulbs easily but the light fixtures are not as easy (more like cheap I guess) so I was curious as to if the T5 fixtures would work.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
OK, maybe I misunderstood you, or you misunderstood me. HD or Lowes does not sell T5HO fixtures or bulbs, at least none of them around here do. A HO bulb will not work in a regular T5 fixture unless you buy a HO ballast and replace the regular T5 ballast that comes with the fixture.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok that works that helps alot. I have a couple others I am looking at right now and would loveto get the ones that link together as with the odd shape of my new tank it would be easier to set it up in different sizes. Thanks for the help anyway.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Actually I am seeing 4 foot T5-HO's in the HD in town (Canada) and Rona (a Canadian big box HD competitor.) The T5HO bulbs are only 3000K's and the price is like $100 per single unit (which is almost as much as the lfs .... so still better to buy on line.)

Anyway, just check the wattage on the bulb, you can tell if that is HO or not.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

The bulbs are not what I am looking for just the fixtures. Since I have a wierd shaped tank (picture a superman emblem with the bottom point being in the corner) I am gonna need different lengths since I am looking to do coral and fish. Unless someone has a suggestion as to light size and width (bulbs wide) to use. Thanks in advance to any ideas and suggestions.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

For your odd shape tank, you might need to be really creative to get enough light in .... retrofit kits in a custom canopy is prob the way to go.

T5HO's are your best bet, but I don't know how many 24" (24W) you can squeeze into your foot print. You might have to use some power compacts in the shorter end.

BTW - if you are doing reef, you prob should get an aquarium fixture. Light output of the T5HO's are dependent on the quality & shape of the reflectors. HD fixtures have reflectors meant to spread light throughout a room. In a tank, you want polished aluminum reflectors that directs all the light straight down into the tank. <Although you can gut a spotlight type fixture, get good reflectors & install that in your canopy, it is not cost effective for T5HO's.> I run a FW planted, and my HD job works reasonably well. I don't know enough about reef to say how you can DIY a fixture, esp. when space is tight and you can't put in extra bulbs to compensate for inefficiencies.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

JS,

I was thinking of a couple different options now on the lighting. I found a sight that tells you how to rewire a T8 fixture to get more light from it and have had asuggestion to use a metal hilide instead of t5's due to my shape. I am debating the hilides idea now, but adding 50/50 screw in lights so I can still get my blue acentic. I am also looking at a future project (more like pricing it out now while I'm setting this tank up) where I'd like to put a T5HO fixture together and was woundering if anyone knew what size ballast I'd need for it.

Thanks for the help.

Tags
canopy, diy, t-5

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com