Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

T connection leaking

I put together my T connection off of my return pump that leads into my refuge. I used the blue glue on PVC pipes and silicone caulk. It still leaks! Is there a material I can wrap around it to stop the leak or do I need to start all over again. Hopefully picture attached will help explain.
Name:   T conn. in sump.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  3.9 KB

Old 05-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO just start over. You could be chasing that leak for quite a while. Not sure what the "blue glue" is, but I have never had a problem just using the standard pvc primer (I like the clear) and glue. Since this is on the return line, there will be a little pressure if you are using a valve to throttle the flow so you want a good seal.

You will find plenty of debate on what glue is "safe" for your tank. To date I have not had a single issue with using the above mentioned method. If you are in fear of the smell and getting chemicals into your system, just let it set a day or two.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Thanx but no.....

agreed. Start over, do it right. Will save you a lot of time in the long run.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

So, as long as the primer and glue are used for PVC, it is considered aquarium safe? I went to Lowe's to look at some today and one specifically specified to be used on Schedule 40 PVC which is the type used in my sump. So that kind will be fine? Thanks for the opinion.
Had too busy of a weekend so I didn't get to work on my sump, but I will be soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparKy697 View Post
IMO just start over. You could be chasing that leak for quite a while. Not sure what the "blue glue" is, but I have never had a problem just using the standard pvc primer (I like the clear) and glue. Since this is on the return line, there will be a little pressure if you are using a valve to throttle the flow so you want a good seal.

You will find plenty of debate on what glue is "safe" for your tank. To date I have not had a single issue with using the above mentioned method. If you are in fear of the smell and getting chemicals into your system, just let it set a day or two.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would start over again, just make sure you apply liberally with solvent next time making sure to turn the joints into the right position, I find that doing this disperses the solvent and have never had a leak doing things thins way. It should state on the bottle if the pvc solvent is safe for drinking water this is the one you want, if it's safe for us should be safe for your fish.

Tags
leaking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com