T5 to LED Hood Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FFEMT58

Aquarium Advice Regular
My moonlight LEDs have burnt out in my Deep Blue T5 hood so i decided to add an LED strip to it all while keeping the florescent bulbs if i want to use them.
Turned out pretty well i don't even need to use the T5s if i dont want to. But my main reason for putting these in was to get my moonlighting back. Also thanks to Ian086 for some help on this install.

This whole conversion cost me under 30 US dollars on amazon.
It is 15ft long and the strip can be cut every 3rd LED and then reconnected if you want to make multiple strips. It also comes with a remote to control a bunch of color combinations as well as turn them on/off.

Here is the link for the LEDs with power:
Amazon.com: HitLights Lighting Strip RGB Color Changing 150 SMD LED Plug-and-Play Kit With 44 Key Remote and Transformer, 5 Meter or 16 Feet: Home Improvement

First thing i did was buy the LEDs. i ordered a waterproof set.
photo11kz.jpg

Next i took the glass off my existing hood and drilled a small hole to fit the LED strip connector.
photo22dq.jpg

I then used the 3M adhesive backing on the LED strip and stuck to the reflector on the hood.
photo31fd.jpg

I then cut the LED strip so i could make a second and third strip to put inside the hood. Each strip can then be connected with wire harshness to make a bend. (easier then bending the LED strip)
photo41p.jpg

After i installed all 3 strips in the hood, i then connected them with the wire harnesses to make them all one strip again.
photo51sq.jpg

Here is what it looks like after all 3 strips are installed with wire harnesses.
(you will notice the middle strip of LEDs are wavy. this is due the the original burnt out moonlight leds)
photo21nv.jpg

I then used some hot glue to secure each clip on the wire harnesses as well as the drilled hole for the power connector.
photo5le.jpg

And here is what it looks like. It turned out the LEDs when white have a blue tint to them. so the first pic is just the T5s on. (dont mind the bubbles in the last photo. im treating for ich)
img7135resize.jpg

img7130resize.jpg

photo32mg.jpg

I like the idea But..

wouldn't the T-5s cook the LED strips till they over heat or burn up over time ?

I also see you covered all the reflective shields for the T-5s

does that effect the lighting disbursement any ??

but like I said I like the idea

just those few concerns got me thinking a little

oh and i was planning on going the rapidled route but i may just have to lookinto this.

I was also concerned about the t5s cooking the LEDs. But so far no problem. And for the most part you won't have them both on at the same time. And the t5s still reflect just as they did with the strips in. The strips are thin so the reflective stripping is still doing its job.

any chance you might be able to toss up some shots of just the leds on? id like to see how they light up the tank by themselves

I was thinking that my self. I'm not sure but I will try to find out.

Cool I hope you update. I currently have a 96w PC fixture on my 50 gallon tank and have an old T8 fixture that I could do this conversion with if it helps the plants at all.

same here. i have a few extra fixtures laying around that i could gut and do this conversion on. now that i think about it, i may just do this conversion on my 75g fw tank and see what happens

ok so here is the pic with just the LEDs on (white)

It has a blue tint to it thats hard to see in the photo. But as i was talking with Ian he made a good point about the transformer it comes with. The transformer is a 1.5 amp and the controller says it can handle up to 6A. So you should be able to get a better transformer to make them brighter/whiter.

photo23tz.jpg

Back
Top Bottom