taking diy off 55 gallon tank for good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering what the easiest way, to take a diy co2 off the 55 g tank, with out hurting the fish. I want to take it off for good, but I know that the ph can fluctuate. Is there a right way of doing this?

just remove it, simple as that.

when i run out of co2 in my tanks, sometimes it is days before i get it refilled. it leads to algae, but fish are always fine.

just remove it, simple as that.

when i run out of co2 in my tanks, sometimes it is days before i get it refilled. it leads to algae, but fish are always fine.

Thats, good to know, was wondering this since it sounded like if it ran out it would be a bad thing.

Im not sure the best way to do it but stopping cold turkey probably is not the best idea. It also depends on how much C02 you are running into the tank. A large pH swing can kill fish. My advice would be to over the course of a couple days to cut back on the CO2 until the CO2 drops to zero.

The pH fluctuations that are caused by CO2 are not dangerous to fish, it is just the pH fluctuations that are accompanied by changes in KH. While your pH will go up as a result of the removal of the CO2, it won't hurt the fish and the pH should be perfectly stable once all the excess CO2 has dissapated.

you may want to reduce the lighting/period also for awhile when you do it, thats b/c algae is faster adapting then plants so reducing to 6hrs a day for 3 days or so then going back up to what you were running can help

Back
Top Bottom