taking the top off a 75?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

multiperpus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have my speculations on what would happen if I were to take the plastic rim off the top of my 75gal and then fill it up..

Just currious if anyone has tried/succeeded/failed.

The frame is an important part of your tanks structure . If you take it off and fill the tank it will break .

My experience tells me that if you remove the rim on a tank of that size it will begin to bow and eventually blow! I don't recommend trying it.

You will fail miserably if you attempt it. Lol The only tank I would ever consider doing it on is 10g or smaller. Seems like the only size I've seen it work long term with no trim.

It really depends on the tank, and the thickness of the glass. If the trim includes a plastic cross brace it isn't a good idea. These days, glass thickness is at an absolute minimum, to keep costs low. The cross brace makes up for the deficiency. There are still tanks being made with glass thick enough to not require cross bracing. The local Big Al's has a bunch of 120s with no center brace. These are 6' tanks, about 22" tall, and the trim is add on type cut to size to fit and cover the top edge. It doesn't really add any support.
If you are having an issue with broken cross brace, the bottom trim can be swapped for the top since they usually have a cross brace they don't need.

Well the glass is 5/16" and its a 4' tank...the original top did have a cross support witch broke during a move ..and since I can bow the glass with little pressure..im thinking ill just make a new one out of tube stock I have

So heres what I got.. its 1/16" walled sqare tube with the lower wall cut out so as to recess the glass inside with a 3/8" round bar stock as a center brace..just need to clean up the welds, paint, silicone it down and test it in the back yard, but whatcha think?

ForumRunner_20130324_095159.jpg

Back
Top Bottom