tank background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to put a background on my aquarium. I was going to buy the basic blue background paper at the LFS. I have had this before but it reflects light and dirt on the glass. What other options do I have for a tank background. I have read of people painting there tanks. I would think the paint would chip after the salt eats away at it. Is there other options

Can everyone post what they chose to do for a background. This would really help me out.

Use vegetable oil to apply the background to the tank. This will seal it to the tank so stuff doesn't get in between the tank and the background.

I just painted mine I cleaned it well with vinegar and then rinsed and wiped with acholol (keep out of tank :) ) Then I taped it off and painted the back , I did 3 or 4 coats on ours so far I have only had one small chip at the corner that I got from bumping it with something , to fix I took same paint placed in a cup (make sure the paint wont eat through it )And dabbed some on ,it matched fine and you can not see the touch up :) You could get basic colors and get them laminated but that may be a bit costly for you :) The other thing I have used is window tinting the static cling type that you use water and a squeege for not that hard to do and then you can pull it off should you grow sick of it :)

An alternative to vegetable oil is vaseline. I would have used vegie oil, but I had fish in my tank already so couldn't afford the risk of getting it everywhere including inside the tank.

vaseline was a good alternative and has worked well.

Jeez, now you tell me about using vegetable oil. :tgv:
When I attached my blue background I used Seaview The Official SEA VIEW Product Website - The Latest in Aquarium Innovation After reading this thread, I decided to smell & feel the Seaview. It sure smells like Vegetable oil and feels like Vegetable oil. I did not taste it though. The label says non toxic. I paid around 4 bucks for a 1 oz bottle. hmmm...If it is Vegetable oil, I got taken ripped off. Live and learn :rolleyes:

I'd imagine olive oil will work too and IMO has a nicer feel and aroma to it. Another option is to make a 3d background on the inside of the tank.

You can purchase thin acrylic from a hardware store (shouldn't cost more than $5) and paint either side whatever color you see fit and affix to back glass (outside of course). This would be easy to remove, clean, or just switch colors if you are bored.

You can purchase thin acrylic from a hardware store (shouldn't cost more than $5) and paint either side whatever color you see fit and affix to back glass (outside of course). This would be easy to remove, clean, or just switch colors if you are bored.
I like that idea.
What do you use to affix the acrylic to the back of the tank?

I use tape, either scotch tape or other that will not peel the paint off. I have even used electrical tape and works rather well.

I used a black "cloth" like thing that you would find in a craft store. I cut it out to size and it fits perfectly on my 38 and looks great.

Watercolor Background

I painted my own, using watercolors, and watercolor paper, that I stuck outside the tank facing in. I did mine similar to the blue gradient (lighter at the top, darker on the bottom) you would buy in the LFS, but, it has a more hand crafted feel and look, which is what I wanted.

here's a pic, it's darker than it looks here though: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/billydaydream/Green.jpg

Oh yeah. I't was just crayola watercolor paint, and 2 big pieces of paper (from my mom's watercolor pad) So maybe $3...Maybe $15 if you had to buy the pad?

Back
Top Bottom