Tank Bookshelf!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jnthn932

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I just had an amazing idea. I'm thinking about building a bookcase with about 5 shelves and having a different tank on each shelf, leaving space to add books, decorations and whatever else you might use a bookcase for in the first place! Has this ever been done? If so, how? I think it would really look amazing once done.

I saw those but not really what I'm talking about. Those look amazing, but I'm thinking of just having each tank resting on a shelf and using the left over space to fill with books. I'm gonna go buy an unfinished bookshelf, doing it and then posting on here.

Sounds like an awesome idea. About how many shelves are going to be on this bookshelves, and how big are these tanks are going to be?

Weight's going to be a big concern. I'd definitely support the shelves with some metal. Also what floor is this shelf going to be on? There will be a ton of weight in a tiny bit of floor space, so that needs to be considered. And get the bookshelf anchored to the wall. My kid cousin tipped one on top of himself, and it was bad... I could only imagine how much worse it would be with aquariums :(

The plan is to find a bookshelf wide enough to hold a 55 gallon and some 20-29 gallon tanks. My plan is to purchase an unfinished bookshelf that would hold a 55 gallon and bassically build and weld a steel frame to fit inside of each bookshelf. To prevent tipping I was thinking of finding some way to make the bottom extremely heavy. Although, I think a fifty five gallon tank placed at the bottom would be more than heavy enough to prevent tipping. It's going to be placed on the first floor of my home.

...I think a fifty five gallon tank placed at the bottom would be more than heavy enough to prevent tipping. It's going to be placed on the first floor of my home.

Even on the first floor, that is a LOT of weight to put in one small area. If your floor is on a slab that shouldnt be an issue but if you have a crawlspace under the house you might want to consider putting some extra shoring under the floor joists to prevent them sagging or worse. It's MUCH better to be safe than sorry.

You can do this with some concrete blocks and shims by placing 2 4X8-inch solid blocks on the ground side by side. Make sure they are level and I would get them down into the dirt where is is compacted either by nature or having been done during your house construction. Place concrete blocks on top, alternating directions until you get close to the joists. Place solid blocks on top and fill in the spacing with wood shims. Keep good pressure on the joists but dont put so much that it lifts them.

good luck!

100% following! This will be amazing! I want to do something like this one day now!

Oh. My. Goodness. I want this; a room full of bookcases and fishtanks would be amazing! (not that I could ever do it lol). :D Following....:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom