Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
tank build

ok so since my wife first approved the $900 tank and is now reconsidering, so now I'm looking for other tank designs, or to build my own. I want it to be 24"x24" BY 24" glasscages.com has a 24x24x25 tank for 270something tehn they have an option of a "glass wall overflow" but I'm not understanding what that is. I would like to use a sump so do I need this overflow wall($78 option)? or would it be be best to just have my holes drilled to run pipes to my sump?

Also if i build my own, is it best to get tempered glass for the bottom, or would 1/2 plate be fine? Is it possible to use acrylic for the bottom and attach glass to that? What would be the best thing to make a frame to hold this all together out of (the upper and lower rims). I was thinking just wood held together with metal corner braces, but if there is a better solution out there I would certainly like to hear about it.

I was thinking of making the inside of the tank 24x22x24 with a black back, but sides going past the back of the tank to hide the pipes and such(the extra two inches hanging past the back of the tank painted or covered black or something)

Any thoughts on using a mirrored backing so I can see whats happening back there? I was thinking of a black backing to make the colors stand out better, but it may be cool to have mirrored. I know other people have had it before, but I've never seen one so was wondering what those who have/had/seen it think of it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You need the overflow wall. Behind the wall will be the holes for your durso standpipes. This overflow wall should be colored black or whatever you decide to help keep algae from growing back there.

You can't drill tempered glass is just shatters, so you would need pane glass for the bottom. Thats what I put on the 125g long that I am using for my sump.

I have been told that it is tricky to get acrylic to stick to glass for a water tight seal, it is ok to do it for baffles in a sump though.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats basically what I was trying to get across. There are no holes to drill in the bottom this way because there is no glass on the last 2 inches... so it doesn't matter if the bottom is tempered or not, but I would think tempered would fair better if my rock tumbled(I have no idea, for real though)
however if i put that wall there as well as another wall on the back end i could just add a couple of slits into it to allow water in and have my pipes completely hidden which would be nice as well.
either way the back wall will be black i found these stick on sheets Crystal Black Oceanvisions Background | Backgrounds, Self-Adhesive | Backgrounds | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
which seem to be able to be removed and adjusted easily... that of course remains to be seen but still.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh no my pic didnt post...
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5v...YTI0Njhl&hl=en
since it's not working proper to show the image ill just link it. and worry about how to get it to work correctly later.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #5

On the bottom to protect from falling rock I hide egg crate under my sand.

If I'm looking at your image correctly I think that you still need another glass piece on the back. Check out this website Bean Animal for your overflow. With this system you would just need to silicone a "trough" across the upper back wall for the overflow.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

With this design there is no glass in the back section. The pipes come up and right angle into holes drilled into the side of the tank. So the bottom glass is 22x24

Although after reading your last post i was thinking i could make my current back out of acrylic with a rear wall behind that like a reg overflow wall. If I do it that way is it best to have my return enter back into the tank through a hole inthe overflow wall? That way water is forced to circulate or does that not matter so much.

Is there some kind of foam I coulduse to pad thebottom, eggcrate seems rather thick to hide.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #7

You can make the return go through your overflow. It helps hide the pipes from being seen. You just use a bulkhead fitting to tie the return in your overflow to the return nozzles in your tank.

I am not aware of any foam like that, my eggcrate is 5/16" thick, so it didn't take much sand to hide it. I put the sand in just to enough fill the eggcrate flush then stacked my rocks then added more sand around the rocks.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was told to have your water dump onto filter material as it could be heard splashing if you drain into your sump water. Is this an issue using a filter sock? Would it be wothwhile to have it pour onto filter material then through a sock or is that redundant
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #9

I have my drain entering my sump below the sump water line. this makes the drain silent. then the water flows over a shelf into a set of filter socks.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats basically what i was planning on doing but was told I should use filter material to make it quiet... I'm glad my original plan is already tested for me and is silent!

Tags
build, diy, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com