Tank Drilling and a new sump/fuge.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumphead

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Update on my drilling: Decided to go pro. Best and safest way. My tank is in the shop and should be done soon. Now I want a bigger fuge/sump so my water volume will exceed or come close to 80gal. So here are my questions as of now if you will:

-Any suggestion on plumbing the drains? There will be two 1 1/2" holes in the back of the tank 4" from the top and 4" from the sides. I would like to use PVC DIY bulkheads and some sort of durso system or just as quiet as possible. ?????

-If I use a standard tank for a fuge/sump (considering a 29g or a 20g long) What should I use to divide the tank for input/fuge/return-n-skimmer) Cut glass and silicone?

-one thing I have considered is fuge depth. If I use the 29g for water volume of the overall system will I have the fuge area too deep? 12" too deep?

side note; Originally I wanted one hole as a drain and one as a return, but I am reconsidering for two drains and plumb returns over the top. Suggestions there?

Thanks so much,
R-

you should be able to make a diy bulkhead from 3/4" pvc parts ... I don't think you would be able to get a anything larger than that to fit.

you need a 3/4" slip to fpt fitting, a 1.25" o-ring, and a 3/4" mpt to slip fitting ... you put the female side in the tank with the o-ring under it, and then thread the male fitting into it from outside the tank.... hand tighten and you're all set - be sure to use generous amounts of teflon tape on the male fitting's threads

since your holes are 4" below the 'top' of the tank, you only need a small bit of pipe and an elbow, and the length of the pipe will adjust your water level. you probably want something like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT8344

which will prevent large debris from entering your drain.

for setting up a refuge and baffles, you can either glue glass into a glass sump with silicone, or weld plastic into a plastic sump with a solvent adhesive... or you can get a cheap-o rubbermaid bin, and for a refuge, just sit a 5 or 7.5 gallon aquarium inside ... the walls of the aquarium should protect the fuge from the turbulance of the sump

you could use a similar small plastic box to sit the intake of a skimmer in, so that it also receives calm water.

Thanks DIY, It seems as though I can always count on your input. I have 2 reasons for wanting a larger sump. Increased capacity for water stability and I want a huge fuge.
Also, I know of the need for the filter comb on the overflow But I was more curious about the noise of the drain.

Thanks again

Thinking the fittings will have to be larger than 3/4". With a 1 1/2" hole in the tank, a 3/4" fitting is going to fall right through the hole. I'm too lazy to walk to the shop and measure some fittings, but I think you'll have to use at least 1" and maybe 1 1/4". 1" PVC pipe measures 1 3/8" OD and the threaded part on an adapter is going to be slightly smaller.
Using an elbow as a return inlet will work great. I have set up a couple of tanks that used that method. You might want to use some bushings and go up to a larger size for the elbow though...or use a transitional elbow. I have noticed that if you use the same size elbow as your drain pipe, the drain can actually sort of vapor lock and will nearly stop draining...depends on your flow.

well, the size I was using is the published measurements found at

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT1133

however, I see that their pieces must be made a lot larger then a standard plumbing piece.

measureing the 1" fitting I have here, I see it is about 1.25" ... sooo that does give you some more room to play with

you could try buying 1", 1.25" and 1.5" fittings, and take back what doesn't fit!

I will do just that. I got the jist of what you were saying. I will have to post some pics of the tank progressively starting from getting it back from the glass shop. Thanks.

Yeah...the factory bulkheads require a much larger hole than PVC adapters do. Using PVC adapters will also depend on the thickness of the glass. If it's too thick, you may not be able to get a good seal. What I have used for gaskets in the past, especially if the fitting is slightly smaller than the hole, is the red gasket material that can be found in the plumbing dept at Lowes/Home Depot. I'm not sure what it's called, but it comes in about 4"x8" sheets and cuts easily with scissors. I have been able to seal fittings with it when I couldn't get an O ring to work.

I think it's called joint packing or gasket sheet, just latex rubber I think, very good for creating "custom" gaskets

At the Home Depot here, they have 1", 1 1/4" & 1 1/2" PVC fittings in the electrical conduit department (cheap too, like $2 a set male/female), strangely, they don't carry 3/4".

Back
Top Bottom