tank homemade decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so today i got an idea. i wan to take one of my old xbox controllers and put it in my tank. i am worried about the safety of the fish. i plan to remove all of the electronic components and will seal it. all of the sealers i find are expensive so does any one know of a cheap sealer that i can use(clear sealer is a necessity)
any ideas will be greatly appreciated!:fish2::fish1:

homemade decor

Hello
I have a 14 gallon freshwater tank and i want to add a homemade decor piece. i am a huge gamer so i want to add one my old xbox controllers. I want to keep the fish safe so i will take the insides out. i will also need to seal it so any ideas on a sealer! the cheaper the better i cant afford to spend that much!
any ideas are very helpful also any more ideas are great!
:thanks::fish1::bb:

No sure if that could be a possibility. I know that the Joystick on the controller degrades with time(as a few of my controllers joysticks are fully degraded). So i'm not sure if that could be dangerous or not.
If not, it should be quite safe:)

As long as its sealed properly you could put anything in the tank. I can't help you though on what kind to get though but I'm sure someone will help you out there shortly.

all i know is you wont be able to use silicone (the stuff used to keep the aquarium together) because it does not adhere to plastic. Now i do believe wet cement will adhere to plastic (used in acrylic aquariums) so you'd just have to fine some aquarium safe wet cement.

thanks every one but is any of these suggestions clear

maybe I misunderstand you... If you seal the xbox controller won't it float?

Also I've read on various sites that some plastics do leech stuff into the water over time. I've heard a lot of people say that if you soak the plastic in hot water, and it goes brittle, slimy, or has a 'plastic' smell.. then you can' use it.

However i haven't tried this personally

Last edited:
i dont remember what they used but in an episode of tanked they did a tank for an indy racer and he wanted a die cast model of his indy car in the tank and they dipped it in some sort of enamel type stuff i bet if you found that episode they might have said what it was

maybe I misunderstand you... If you seal the xbox controller won't it float

Was just thinking that myself!!!. You'll have to anchor it or fill the inside with aquarium safe cement. Sorry, don't know the name of the sealer but as was mentioned before, I did see it on 'Tanked'. Very curious myself to find out the name!!!

Also...... if the plastic is fine to use, why does it need to be sealed at all? can't you just let it fill with water and sink?

Well seal it, remove a joystick or pierce a hole and allow the water in. That should work fairly well.

Thank you all for this I will update you all on the project when I actually do ( I don't have my tank right now due to a annoying and expensive school project)

hey anyone know if Neophrene Plastic is safe thats what the controllers made of

maybe I misunderstand you... If you seal the xbox controller won't it float?

Also I've read on various sites that some plastics do leech stuff into the water over time. I've heard a lot of people say that if you soak the plastic in hot water, and it goes brittle, slimy, or has a 'plastic' smell.. then you can' use it.

However i haven't tried this personally

number 5 plastic is the safest number 7 is the worst 1 2 & 4 are ok i dont know about 7 or 8

Googled and found this.....PLEASE RESEARCH IT YOURSELF BEFORE TRYING IT!!!!

Quote:
"The people at the show Tanked did get back to me. They use a 2 part epoxy clear coat called 1319 ultra by Polygem. It can be found at polygem.com"

Back
Top Bottom