Tank stand not perfectly flat help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweendog87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So iv built my own custom stand very strong but the top is not completely flat and im wondering if i put 7mm ply on top would that help enough or should I still pit polystyrene under also
Another question about the polystyrene
The sheets that are available at my local building supply store are 600mm wide and my tank is 610mm wide. Now will the 10mm over hang of the glass over the polystyrene be a problem or am I just worrying too much iv also hear polystyrene helps with kepping the tank perfectly level also anyone had these issues before abd how did you solve them.
Do you think it will be 100% if I use both ply and polystyrene
?

Might try the thin but heavy rubber exercise mats. The type seen under exercise machines at gyms. That way you can trim it down to size.

if its out of square by more than 1/16 inch I would break it down rebuild and trim to size as needed ,

I'll never forget my first stand I ever built it was off about 1/8 inch I was like no big deal , by the time I got stand placed tank put on and filled it the water line was almost 1/2 lower on one side . now I use a square and a level on everything I build .

Here's a pic of mine just the frame. And another pick without my tank. Might give ya an idea maybe take ur top off and cut boards for the top like this to make it level. U got a circular saw. I'm sure. Or u could take ur hard work apart and cut that 1/16" off. I know mine took me a wk or so.IMAG1616.jpgIMAG1631.jpgIMAG1621.jpg

Back
Top Bottom