Tank stand re-design.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammel88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi There,
I have recently purchased this tank, quite the bargain actually. I would like to make some changes though. So Im wondering if any one has any hints. The idea I have is to sand it back and paint it in high gloss white. Any pointers on this would be helpful. The biggest challenge though is that I would like to build it into a cupboard. I went with a already built stand because I have little experience and wanted to be sure it would hold the weight but any ideas for changing it into a cupboard would be very much appreciated! :)

Attachments

• photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 126
Painting should be fairly straight forward. I'm assuming that it is just woodstain and not varnished... either way, give the surface a light sanding to give a good key, remove any loose material, ideally give it a wipe over with some Methylated Spirits. I would then give it a coat of Zinsser B.I.N. Once that is dry give it another light sanding and you're ready to paint.

That design looks a bit prone to 'lateral stress', so making it in to a cupboard would only help. I would fix some board – 12mm MDF should be fine or 18mm off the same sheet as doors – to the back and sides, and to the front face of the two corner uprights, flush with the 'inside' face... if you see what I mean.

You then need some doors. Simplest would be two 'surface mounted' doors – these I would do in 18mm MDF – using concealed hinges (the type you normally get in kitchen cupboards).

You need a special drill bit for concealed hinges which you can buy for about £5. Or maybe 'Easy Mount' would be better. I've never used Easy Mount, so can't say anything about their quality etc.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom