Tank trim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So my boyfriend and I are looking into building a custom tank. I have 2 questions.

1: The black plastic tank trim. What can be used for that? Would Home Depot carry something like it?

2: The center stabilizer. You know how a 55g or larger tank has that plastic piece that runs from the plastic trim on the back to the plastic trim on the front? How would we make something like that?

Everything else we pretty much have figured out, just those 2 things we're having trouble finding info on. The tank will be 3 feet tall by 28 inches wide by 18 inches deep.

I think you may want to rethink DIYing anything under 200G+. It just isn't cost effective or safe for the most part.

personally i wouldn't make the tank taller than my arm is long. would be a pita to plant and scape.
as for your questions i'm sorry but i dont know where to get that either.

i was looking for the trim around the top and bottom for a 55 gallon and somebody on here said glasscages.com and you can also try your local pet store

If you are going to get the standard sized frames, you may as well buy a standard size tank .... it will be cheaper & easier.

DIY tanks are only worthwhile for odd sized/shaped tanks for specialized locations, or for really big tanks. <A large acrylic tanks is cheaper to DIY than pre-made.> For the DIY tanks, people usually use a "Euro-brace" for the frame & cross brace. This is a rim of glass (or acrylic) that you custom build to fit inside the tank. Essentially, it is a stripe of glass a few inches wide that you silicone to the perimeter of the tank top (at right angle to the tank "walls"). The cross brace is a piece of glass (~ 6-8" wide for larger tanks) that you silicone across the top, joining the front & back panes. <You don't need to do a rim at the bottom, as the bottom pane will act as a brace.>

It was going to be an odd shaped tank. We've seen the same shape online but they only make them up to 20g.

Welcome to Clear-Seal Aquariums

It's the first one, the Astra.

We wanted something taller and that holds more for angelfish and that would fit the wall at the end of our stairs. But I have reconsidered the build. After reading ya'lls posts and doing more research this morning, it would really be a pain in the arse.

cool looking tanks but a short little ump-lumpa like me would not be able to have my arm reach the bottom.

I have a 100 gallon like the first one and it wasn't custom. Can't tell you who made it though. I am sure they are out there.

Back
Top Bottom