Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Terrapin tank

Ok I've got 3 terrapins that are huge now and need a bigger tank, only problem is they coat far too much currently they are in a 4ft tank, I would like to build them something with more then just a tank for water but boring for them, so if anyone has built anything for there's please could you put some pics up, this project can't be too hard to complete, or to expensive, size and space aren't a problem, expense and difficulty is, but any ideas would be useful
Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can you post a picture of their tank now?

I am in the process of revamping a 125 gal tank for 2 sliders and a 75 gal tank for a box turtle. For the box, I wanted to give as much "floor" space as possible. I am making tiers and ramps to do this.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Attachment 247350

( I no it looks small before anyone says that, it wasn't when it was brought it was huge for them then,that's why i want to make something instead as a tank the size they need will cost a fortune)

This is the tank at present the blue plastic has been taken out and replaced the tank was perfect size,

But as you no they grow blooming fast

That sounds interesting what you are doing

Thanks for the reply

Sent from my fish phone
Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

The attachment won't open. Could you try to post it again, please?

Finding interesting ways to make turtle tanks is not easily found on the internet. Lots of people have ponds, etc...but that's just not feasible for me to do.
I am working on pvc platforms. I ran into a design flaw when I first tried to set it up. I cannot get into the bottom of the tank with dismantling the entire top tier. Today's job is to make a trap door in the top tier.
PVC is cheap and easy to work with. I hope to redo it all in acrylic, but need to work out design flaws first.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #5

Here's my introduction:
Hello

...and here's a better pic of the actual tier set up I am working on for the box's tank:

No, that isn't the turtle in the background, it's a fake turtle shell that I hope to replace the shoe box with. The turtle loves that shoebox. Go figure.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408527039.353310.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	247397

Hopefully it works this time,

I really like what you are doing building upwards instead of outwardly, I've never seen anything like what your doing before, can I ask what sort of metal you are using,

Keep us posted on the progress would love to see the finished project

Sent from my fish phone
Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

This tank cost 200 pound just to let you no, it's not as little as it seems they are just huge

Sent from my fish phone
Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meliboouk View Post
This tank cost 200 pound just to let you no, it's not as little as it seems they are just huge

Are they water turtles? If so, I'd fill that tank up to almost full, and make a basking top for them. It'll give them much more room to swim and you won't have to replace the tank right away.

The materials I used were PVC plastic pipes....like for sprinkler systems. The platforms are "egg crate", plastic light diffuser stuff for like lights...industrial type lights, I think. I covered it in green astro turf like the stuff old people put on their porches. There are several videos on Youtube showing how to make platforms this way (without the fake grass).
"BauriBob" has several vids...on is titled "Making stuff for your turtle tank", where he shows just how to do it.

I just took that idea and ran with it, as I needed a good amount of dry land for the box turtle.
I started working on the slider platform last night. I'll post up some pics later today when it starts to take shape.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #9

On youtube, as well...there are videos of people who made actual wooden toppers for the tanks for the basking areas. I didn't watch many, as that wasn't what I was trying to do. But that might be a good next step alternative for you.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408562848.157796.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	247423

We were told they were res terrapins

Sent from my fish phone

Tags
api, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com