Terrapin tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meliboouk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I've got 3 terrapins that are huge now and need a bigger tank, only problem is they coat far too much currently they are in a 4ft tank, I would like to build them something with more then just a tank for water but boring for them, so if anyone has built anything for there's please could you put some pics up, this project can't be too hard to complete, or to expensive, size and space aren't a problem, expense and difficulty is, but any ideas would be useful
Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you post a picture of their tank now?

I am in the process of revamping a 125 gal tank for 2 sliders and a 75 gal tank for a box turtle. For the box, I wanted to give as much "floor" space as possible. I am making tiers and ramps to do this.

View attachment 247350

( I no it looks small before anyone says that, it wasn't when it was brought it was huge for them then,that's why i want to make something instead as a tank the size they need will cost a fortune)

This is the tank at present the blue plastic has been taken out and replaced the tank was perfect size,

But as you no they grow blooming fast

That sounds interesting what you are doing

Thanks for the reply

Sent from my fish phone

The attachment won't open. Could you try to post it again, please?

Finding interesting ways to make turtle tanks is not easily found on the internet. Lots of people have ponds, etc...but that's just not feasible for me to do.
I am working on pvc platforms. I ran into a design flaw when I first tried to set it up. I cannot get into the bottom of the tank with dismantling the entire top tier. Today's job is to make a trap door in the top tier.
PVC is cheap and easy to work with. I hope to redo it all in acrylic, but need to work out design flaws first.

Here's my introduction:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f59/hello-317097.html

...and here's a better pic of the actual tier set up I am working on for the box's tank:

img_3021527_0_5c6a47860ed49e4d9136d0624881f223.jpg

No, that isn't the turtle in the background, it's a fake turtle shell that I hope to replace the shoe box with. The turtle loves that shoebox. Go figure.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408527039.353310.jpg

Hopefully it works this time,

I really like what you are doing building upwards instead of outwardly, I've never seen anything like what your doing before, can I ask what sort of metal you are using,

Keep us posted on the progress would love to see the finished project

Sent from my fish phone

This tank cost 200 pound just to let you no, it's not as little as it seems they are just huge

Sent from my fish phone

This tank cost 200 pound just to let you no, it's not as little as it seems they are just huge

Are they water turtles? If so, I'd fill that tank up to almost full, and make a basking top for them. It'll give them much more room to swim and you won't have to replace the tank right away.

The materials I used were PVC plastic pipes....like for sprinkler systems. The platforms are "egg crate", plastic light diffuser stuff for like lights...industrial type lights, I think. I covered it in green astro turf like the stuff old people put on their porches. There are several videos on Youtube showing how to make platforms this way (without the fake grass).
"BauriBob" has several vids...on is titled "Making stuff for your turtle tank", where he shows just how to do it.

I just took that idea and ran with it, as I needed a good amount of dry land for the box turtle.
I started working on the slider platform last night. I'll post up some pics later today when it starts to take shape.

On youtube, as well...there are videos of people who made actual wooden toppers for the tanks for the basking areas. I didn't watch many, as that wasn't what I was trying to do. But that might be a good next step alternative for you.

Sent before if finished we were told they are res terrapins but they don't have red ears so I don't think they are whenever I look online there's that many that look the same with different names

Sent from my fish phone

Also we have had them in deeper water at first and they never liked it so we thought we might aswell put less in

Sent from my fish phone

I just looked again at them and the breeds, they might be Cumberland sliders, thought they were yellow belly sliders until I just read they have hardly any markings these have between 2/6black patches on there bellies

They all look so alike

Sent from my fish phone

Ok, here's an update.
This was written for a completely non-aquarium/aquatics, etc forum....at all.
It's concise. I don't want to re-write it. Been up to my arm pits in tanks all day. Literally. Well worth it, though. Zen....with pruned hands and fingers....and arms. :lol:

I will edit it as much as I notice...but be forewarned about potential adult language.

Tommy having a sun....wif her toesies in the water:

img_3025927_0_df6461cc40199d8aea2dab1d6518c0de.jpg

Ok, so....aquariums are always pretty much works in progress. Turtle tanks...well, you can't just buy stuff to make a turtle tank. Yeah, zoo med makes some stuff, but that's only for when the turtles are cute and little.
You have to make anything you want/need.

(the sliders will go back in their tank tomorrow. Gotta keep an eye on em)

img_3025927_1_81e0a12f4fa9a2f332166d72c58835f3.jpg

Each tank.
Crappy pic, but this is the decorative feeder tank. At some point, it will be where the minnows and guppies live while they are on death row.

There's 3 tiny frogs in there. 2 are albino. They are the size of my thumb nail. They eat blood worms. If you could call something the size of your thumb nail vicious...these are vicious eating the tiny worms.

img_3025927_2_79a1597cbe4204ea22eac56542d6f3dc.jpg
(useless strip thermo.)

Tommy's tank:

img_3025927_3_12d15bc3e763e3e0831272da4bd11243.jpg

Yes, she still sleeps in a shoe box. She loves that frikken thing. She *is* a *box* turtle.
I am making her a wood box. (WIP)
25 gal to swim in, filtered for 40+ gal.
3 levels of turtle condo.
thumb.gif

The ramp is stupid. I have another ramp WIP in the garage. Shot all the foam last night for it. It'll take a little over a week to complete due to drying/curing times, etc.

There is a "trap door" on the top level, and there is a "trap door" on the lover level. I can get my arms to everywhere in the tank. That's not as easy as it sounds.

New addition tonight....Lucy the Lobster:

img_3025927_5_0b049b95ec4c78e86e1dd5d32b25a4a1.jpg

...and here's Lucy practicing for the remake of Lobster vs Mothra:

img_3025927_6_cbd59f9038a85f3c7a404edb2723a606.jpg

(Insert cheesy dinosaur kinda monster noises here....terrifyingly.)

In the slider tank...today's addition was a big mother {deleted] fish.

This is a 5 gal bucket:

img_3025927_7_49dc072dfe2210a26bd85a5b116668c5.jpg

When it's fins go up....it looks like a skilsaw with like sawzal fins sticking out of everywhere.
Kinda funny that a fish without teeth could mess ya up if ya screw with it wrong.

It looks like a dang ugly, some kinda prehistoric dinosaur looking fish.....but if you look at it, it looks like a lion or a domestic cat. How cool is that.

img_3025927_8_a7f9997bd94609f30b8dbe5988440e07.jpg

His name is Darwin Stomus.

Little perspective...this is Darwin in the 125 gal tank.

img_3025927_9_5fbdd66a03d9209bc3602636d63bae8d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom