Test tube-rocker/shaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dezso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday was searching all over the web for replacement vials, cant find any decent price, specially the ones with ml marking are expensive.
On one of the page I found a commercial/medical tube mixer/shaker.

This morning I set up to make my version of it :p
10 hr later, 2 failed prototype, 2 more broken vials, 1 broken drill bit, some band-aide on my finger I have a working model.
Its not finished YET, but this one works.

The motor underneath is from a old video game controller, the motor RPM and direction change ~randomly in every 200 ms to 800ms, a single drop of calcium test will mix instantly. in my previous version the glue did not hold to long so this one is JBwelded.
The whole unit is sit on 4 rubber hose.
I'll try to make some video in the next few days, unfortunately have to work on this weekend. :peace:

img0245aj.jpg

img0246xb.jpg

Well this is cool, BUT what is the point of shaking the test tubes as you could shake them manually. I mean is it is just for fun and good job but i was just curious.

Cool little project. I too wonder why when mixing is usually only for 10 - 30 seconds.

As for marked vials, forget about them. The markings are generally not accurate. Get yourself a 5ml syringe at the pharmacy and fill the vials using that.

For calcium, magnesium, alkalinity test I have to dose it by drop by drop, this way don't need to shake it by hand. Call me lazy :)

I can see where this would come in handy... I think it would be of better use if you somehow figured out how to mount the #2 nitrate test solution bottle... shaking that is usually a pain!

Along the same lines, I was debating making a robotic arm to do all of my testing for me :p

Asimo can conduct an orchestra, I'm sure he could do your testing for $1000000/month

honda-asimo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom