Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2003, 01:27 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

The Aqua-Entertainment Center

The DIY project from... well lets hope it doesn't get that bad.

as a friend of mine likes to say,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
No good can come of this.
The section above the tank will house the lighting. I'm shooting for 4x65 PC (already have these) and 2x150 MHs (will buy these). The lighting cabinet will be vented with fans. The vents will likely lead to the top of the unit and vent to the ceiling through duct work hidden behind the shelf area above the light cabinet. The light cabinet will have a locking hinge so it will hold itself open and the lights will actually be attached to a single board that will slide out from over the tank to make light/electrical maintenance easy.

The stand portion of the unit will be 2x4 construction and separate from the rest of the unit. the cabinet portion will house the lighting timers. And an access panel to the plumbing conduit that will run to the basement as it will be difficult at best to access the rear of the tank from the top.

The left and right sections are simply shelving for books, nick-nacks etc. All visible wood pieces (which are most areas) will be oak/Oak veneer plywood.

any thoughts? Don't worry, there will be plenty of pics and updates... trying to have this stand completed by Halloween.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
looks like it is gonna be really tall.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:51 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

The entire unit is 8' high by 8' wide. Each square in the above sketch is 3"
Old 10-12-2003, 06:07 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Stage One of the stand complete!

Due to an upcoming halloween bash and needing to move the tank before then I'm building the Aqua-Center in two parts. First will be the stand as a stand-alone unit. Then after the party (likely after winter) the bookshelves and light hood will be constructed and added to it.

I have finaly flesshed out the style for the design and have completed the frame of the stand and have it skinned (pics attached). Stage two of the stand will involve building the doors and faces for the two drawers.

The frame is constructed of 2x4s and 3" heavy duty drywall screws. The skin is 1/4" Oak Vaneere Plywood. The thicker pieces are 1x3 Solid Oak. The cupboard doors and drawer faces will be made of the same 1x3 Oak planks with a floating oak panel (left over plywood)
Old 10-12-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
SWEET.

I cant belive I just saw this for the first time.

Hey if you ever get some free time come down to VA and build me some stuff!

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:52 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks! I'm really excited about this project. There's something about working with wood; I can just get my head into it and forget about everything else. My furniture design professor at college told me I was in the wrong line of work when I told him I was a CIS major LOL. I told him software developers make more money! )

The next step is gonna be kinda tough. I'll need to use my fathers edge joiner and table saw to do it so I'll have to do everything at his house. I need to have it all done in time so it can be stained and polyurithained at least by the 26th... ouch... i just looked at the calendar. That gives me 1 week to finish building the stand and a week to get it stained and sealed and then a week to get the tank moved... what time is it... 11pm... I've got a few hours before I pass out! lol
Old 10-14-2003, 11:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just posted a really cool link to somebody who makes aquaruim cabinets. I posted it in the lounge under cool aquaruims.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com