Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha yeah they are creepy little things, I found some crawling out of my driftwood;that was outside, the other day really not nice lol You've got me worrying now and I haven't even got the substrate yet haha. How does it happen anyway, just the humidity along with crab waste and food?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think the waste and food really even factor into. I remove any uneaten food so I know that's not it. I had this experience before with a much simpler palu I did for my fiddler crabs..it's just the humidity. In my build thread adeem just said it's normal in the beginning and fine and won't hurt the crabs so I wouldn't worry.

Ok that just freaked me out..lol...boil that driftwood!

Old 05-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

The driftwood is a weird mopani thing; that my sister picked up for me, I haven't really used it cause there's nothing I can do with it so the lice are welcome to it :p

When you add all the land substrates, are you supposed to mix them around every so often? like you would sand in an aquarium.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used mopani too. You got store bought mopani with lice in it?

I'm not sure about the stirring. I'm gonna ask in my thread too and we'll see if we can get some more input on that.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Me and the boyfriend went for a walk last night, up the local forestry and to my utter devastation came across sphagnum moss, it was like sphagnum moss heaven up there lol I didn't get any because I'm not sure about the alive stuff and what it needs etc but it was actually quite pretty, like tiny stars haha

But on a more serious note.... my "dried" sphagnum moss came today, that isn't so dry;more wet and green than dead and shrivelled I'm not sure if I can still use it as a soil mix thing, so thought i'd ask yooou
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting..I would lay it out in the sun for a while first to dry it out. I don't think it's a problem that it's moist, but it would probably work better if you could dry it out some first.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think its giving sun tomorrow, so a good few hours should get it dry some but this is welsh weather so it will probably be rain haha

Since this stuff is still green and fresh, would it grow? I think I may add some to my bamboo sticks too, to give a bit of decoration haha
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL yes, I live in a very rainy place as well. I'm not sure if it would. Give it a shot if it's pretty. It's ugly dried.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

I may as well try some, I've got enough to sink a battleship anyway I've got to get rid of it some how haha

How's your palu holding up?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well the rest of my substrates turned up today and as I thought.....we had rain. Nonetheless, we are supposed to be having a scorching weekend;well barbecue whether at the least, so that should be enough to dry my moss and coconut fibre but since I am quite impatient; I'm just itching to put it all in the tank now!! haha

When I get the chance to put all the substrates in, do I have to mix them together? I'm OCD and the thought of mixing just doesn't sit well, I want neat layers and what about drainage? should I add some stones under the land part, or does this not matter?

I think that's all for now
Thanks

Tags
crab, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com