Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well as suspected I got impatient and had to do something, so I layered the bark; about 2 inches high, on the bottom of the land side. I don't know if there is any point to it but it looks good haha I really can't wait to add the rest now but I'm confused how to go about it.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
Well the rest of my substrates turned up today and as I thought.....we had rain. Nonetheless, we are supposed to be having a scorching weekend;well barbecue whether at the least, so that should be enough to dry my moss and coconut fibre but since I am quite impatient; I'm just itching to put it all in the tank now!! haha

When I get the chance to put all the substrates in, do I have to mix them together? I'm OCD and the thought of mixing just doesn't sit well, I want neat layers and what about drainage? should I add some stones under the land part, or does this not matter?

I think that's all for now
Thanks
No, stones under the substrate isn't necessary, but you could if you want. Unforunately, because I know I like the layered look too, we do have to mix it. The soil it makes up is actually part of their food source. They need to be able to access more than just one component of it.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahhh now that makes sense lol. I've been trying to look for pictures on the net, of how it will look, just to see if I'm doing it right... is that sad? I think it is haha

I can't wait to finish this, so I can get some more crabs haha
What plants do you have?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm..what do you mean by doing it right? just mix 'n' poor lol.

I have no clue. I just went to petco and bought what I thought looked pretty.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

urns out today, is actually warmer than I gave this country credit for, so I was able to dry my moss and coco fibre from the moment I got up!

The moss was still green when it had finished drying but I think over time it will brown off and I was also quite shocked, at how much I enjoyed mixing everything together the amount of sand I used was barely anything, so I think I may add some more later; if its not too tricky lol.

Anyway, all my "soil" is in the tank and it looks quite good if I do say so myself - the soil that is :p The tank looks rubbish I was actually surprised at how much mix I had, considering I only put just over half of the eco earth in, it went a long way and I still have some in the bucket that I just couldn't squeeze in haha.

It still needs a lot of work, plants, things to climb on and i'm thinking about putting java moss on the top of the wall or maybe that droopy moss, whats it called? willow moss or weeping moss? I don't know what its called but it all depends on what I can get hold of

I'm not actually sure what else I can do, with this poor attempt of a tank....any ideas?

My Amazing, Soil mixture!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01095-20110602-1453.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	38899

Top view

Name:	IMG01096-20110602-1459.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	38898

Name:	IMG01097-20110602-1500.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	38900
Old 06-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow this looks great! I've always been fascinated with crabs... I'm excited to see how the final project turns out! Awesome work!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

So Welsh...what became of the crab tank??
Old 07-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Ooh, another crab thread! I don't usually look in this section :P

--Adeeb
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank is still up and running, I just haven't got around to buying any crabs haha I have found red crabs in another lfs but not sure if their red claw and the people who work there are useless so need to do my own research haha The purple vampire crabs are in a lfs about an hour from where I live and I haven't been down that area for a while, I do plan to take a special trip to get them next month though and also pick up their bargain anubias too lol
Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

cant wait to see the finished product

Tags
crab, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com