The Beginning: Crab Setup!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well as suspected I got impatient and had to do something, so I layered the bark; about 2 inches high, on the bottom of the land side. I don't know if there is any point to it but it looks good haha I really can't wait to add the rest now but I'm confused how to go about it.

Well the rest of my substrates turned up today and as I thought.....we had rain. :( Nonetheless, we are supposed to be having a scorching weekend;well barbecue whether at the least, so that should be enough to dry my moss and coconut fibre :D but since I am quite impatient; I'm just itching to put it all in the tank now!! haha

When I get the chance to put all the substrates in, do I have to mix them together? I'm OCD and the thought of mixing just doesn't sit well, I want neat layers :cool: and what about drainage? should I add some stones under the land part, or does this not matter?

I think that's all for now :D
Thanks

No, stones under the substrate isn't necessary, but you could if you want. Unforunately, because I know I like the layered look too, we do have to mix it. The soil it makes up is actually part of their food source. They need to be able to access more than just one component of it. :ermm:

Ahhh now that makes sense lol. I've been trying to look for pictures on the net, of how it will look, just to see if I'm doing it right... is that sad? I think it is haha

I can't wait to finish this, so I can get some more crabs haha
What plants do you have?

Hmm..what do you mean by doing it right? just mix 'n' poor lol.

I have no clue. I just went to petco and bought what I thought looked pretty. :whistle: :angel:

urns out today, is actually warmer than I gave this country credit for, so I was able to dry my moss and coco fibre from the moment I got up! :D

The moss was still green when it had finished drying but I think over time it will brown off and I was also quite shocked, at how much I enjoyed mixing everything together :cool: the amount of sand I used was barely anything, so I think I may add some more later; if its not too tricky lol.

Anyway, all my "soil" is in the tank and it looks quite good if I do say so myself - the soil that is :p The tank looks rubbish :blink: I was actually surprised at how much mix I had, considering I only put just over half of the eco earth in, it went a long way and I still have some in the bucket that I just couldn't squeeze in haha.

It still needs a lot of work, plants, things to climb on and i'm thinking about putting java moss on the top of the wall or maybe that droopy moss, whats it called? willow moss or weeping moss? I don't know what its called but it all depends on what I can get hold of :D

I'm not actually sure what else I can do, with this poor attempt of a tank....any ideas?

My Amazing, Soil mixture! :cool:
IMG01095-20110602-1453.jpg

Top view
IMG01096-20110602-1459.jpg

IMG01097-20110602-1500.jpg

Wow this looks great! I've always been fascinated with crabs... I'm excited to see how the final project turns out! Awesome work!

The tank is still up and running, I just haven't got around to buying any crabs haha I have found red crabs in another lfs but not sure if their red claw and the people who work there are useless so need to do my own research haha The purple vampire crabs are in a lfs about an hour from where I live and I haven't been down that area for a while, I do plan to take a special trip to get them next month though and also pick up their bargain anubias too :D lol

Haha There will definitely be loads of pics :D I'm going to have to make the lid a little more secure this time too, so no crabs decide to make a run for it lol

I've been thinking... I have nearly a full bag of calci sand left over and was thinking about putting some in the water part of the tank but if I then decided to add some sort of fish would they cope with the amount of calcium that the sand gives off?

The crabs I had last time seemed to spend the majority of their lives on the land so something has to live in the water to keep the cycle alive. Right? haha

How's your tank Siva? :)

Hmm..I'm really not sure how that would work putting it in the water portion. Maybe give it a shot and test pH for a while. If it doesn't skyrocket, my guess is that it would be fine. Might make the water cloudy though? I just don't know...

It's going alright..I guess. I did such a great job building a nice habitat for them with so many hiding spots that now..I never really see them. lol If I could do it all over I would design it a little different I think. I might try to do something new with it. I don't know. One of them died trying to molt the other day. If that's going to keep happening I'll just give up on them and use the palu for something else. I'm really hoping some of them are going to stay alive long term.

I've given up too, I've been trying to dry out all the 'dirt' this weekend - thankfully we've had an indian summer, otherwise I'd never get it dry lol. I have a spare tank now though and wondering what to do with it haha

Back
Top Bottom