Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Future to filter

Okay so I have been wanting to tell someone about this idea. It is the
Revolutionary Filter I please tell you guys to not steal my idea
And this is actually coming true! I am searching for a company to make a prototype. But on to the filter. I am going to have a plastic box about as big as a 10 gallon tank. and it will have a touch screen on it near the top. Oh and this is for reef aquariums. but with the touch screen you tell it to do a water change and type in how much you want out like 20% and all you have today is connect the tube to the sink it and it will also put water back in and mix the salt. It has skimmer chiller all that stuff and the chiller would be optional and on the screen you can check your parameters and temp I have found a way to put a whole bunch of those probes in there. and you can put it on a graph on the touchscreen and it has a salt mixer and a salt bank that can hold 3 gallons of salt and a auto mixer in the bottom. Oh and a auto top off to. So it has pretty much anything you would want for a reef aquarium. I am also trying to make a freshwater one and refugium please comment anything to add to it to change the design before i buy the prototype.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

sounds like a cool idea, but with something that would do all that, I think you'll have a hard time selling it for the pricetag that would most likely come with something of that nature... look at the fluval g series...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well i think I have a way to get it around $200 do you think that is reasonble?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

sounds like a dream.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fish_man View Post
Well i think I have a way to get it around $200 do you think that is reasonble?
Not if you want any profit... or even break even.

Touch screen alone could eat up a 1/4 to 1/2 of that. Then you need a programmable processor and controller, solenoids and a timer you need to program for the solenoid to be open X time with X pressre to get X volume of water, then you need it to drop X amount of salt in the water to get the right salinity - which you need something to measure and check that the parameters that are ok. That would mean you need digital test equipment that can be read by the processor and controller.

I don't think this can be something easily done...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
sounds like a dream.
to me or you?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And max and mfdrookie you guys are right sort of I did the math and the least i can afford is $350
And some places have discontinued the fluval g? Well now my goal is to try to get a lower price then the fluvalg. My dream is to run a lfs...... but they have been running for a while so they would prob get more customers.
I think the one i am making will have some more stuff then fluval g. or at least from what the place i looked at said?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. As an engineer, I'm intrigued and would like to see more details as to how you're going to fit all this stuff in a space the sized of a 10g for $350. I figure the probes and control unit would probably cost that.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

are we getting details as this comes along? or is this just a dream at this point?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

As an IT professional I am having trouble with the price, but I would love to see the programing that runs the control unit! Whats the ETA on a prototype?

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com