The Future to filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_fish_man

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so I have been wanting to tell someone about this idea. It is the
Revolutionary Filter I please tell you guys to not steal my idea
And this is actually coming true! I am searching for a company to make a prototype. But on to the filter. I am going to have a plastic box about as big as a 10 gallon tank. and it will have a touch screen on it near the top. Oh and this is for reef aquariums. but with the touch screen you tell it to do a water change and type in how much you want out like 20% and all you have today is connect the tube to the sink it and it will also put water back in and mix the salt. It has skimmer chiller all that stuff and the chiller would be optional and on the screen you can check your parameters and temp I have found a way to put a whole bunch of those probes in there. and you can put it on a graph on the touchscreen and it has a salt mixer and a salt bank that can hold 3 gallons of salt and a auto mixer in the bottom. Oh and a auto top off to. So it has pretty much anything you would want for a reef aquarium. I am also trying to make a freshwater one and refugium please comment anything to add to it to change the design before i buy the prototype.
:invasion:

sounds like a cool idea, but with something that would do all that, I think you'll have a hard time selling it for the pricetag that would most likely come with something of that nature... look at the fluval g series...

Well i think I have a way to get it around $200 do you think that is reasonble?

Not if you want any profit... or even break even.

Touch screen alone could eat up a 1/4 to 1/2 of that. Then you need a programmable processor and controller, solenoids and a timer you need to program for the solenoid to be open X time with X pressre to get X volume of water, then you need it to drop X amount of salt in the water to get the right salinity - which you need something to measure and check that the parameters that are ok. That would mean you need digital test equipment that can be read by the processor and controller.

I don't think this can be something easily done...

And max and mfdrookie you guys are right sort of I did the math and the least i can afford is $350
And some places have discontinued the fluval g? Well now my goal is to try to get a lower price then the fluvalg. My dream is to run a lfs...... but they have been running for a while so they would prob get more customers.
I think the one i am making will have some more stuff then fluval g. or at least from what the place i looked at said?

Interesting. As an engineer, I'm intrigued and would like to see more details as to how you're going to fit all this stuff in a space the sized of a 10g for $350. I figure the probes and control unit would probably cost that.

As an IT professional I am having trouble with the price, but I would love to see the programing that runs the control unit! Whats the ETA on a prototype?

What you need to do is look at current patents and patents pending. If this design/concept doesn't exist in the form your building, you better apply for a patent ASAP.

Next you should make a proof of concept. Then propose it to a filter company and take in X% of it in royalties.

Might as well incorp a RO/DI unit in it too.

Interesting. As an engineer, I'm intrigued and would like to see more details as to how you're going to fit all this stuff in a space the sized of a 10g for $350. I figure the probes and control unit would probably cost that.

As i aid before that is the least i can afford it would be very cheapy and i would get no profit:sad: But right now price is not my objective.

What you need to do is look at current patents and patents pending. If this design/concept doesn't exist in the form your building, you better apply for a patent ASAP.

Next you should make a proof of concept. Then propose it to a filter company and take in X% of it in royalties.

Might as well incorp a RO/DI unit in it too.

Good idea. Know where i can patent it?
Thanks

You would have to search thru the US and/or International Patent Office(s)

Prolly could do it via web.

http://patft.uspto.gov/

And from what a quick search,it looks like this might already exist. You should do some heavy research, copyrights and copyright lawsuits are HUGE deals.

What would really put the nail in the coffin would be to be able to pull the data off the screen useing USB to a lap top or computer for analyzes to help determine problematic area's.

Hey don't let nobody tell you you cant do it!!!!! If you make it work, you can make a economic unit and a deluxe unit with all the bells and whistles. If you build it ppl will come.

If you look at it this way Pol pay $25 for a water test kit . If you add it up maybe around $200 a year thats for your low level aquarist. so paying $400 or $500 wouldn't be that much.

Back
Top Bottom