Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2004, 12:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
the hood is done now time to paint

well so today i finished the hood. here are some pics. but now what is the best paint to use? all of the wood is 1/2 in berch plywood. and i had to use some oak 1x2 in to get it to sit on the tank right. the outside i would want to paint black and the inside just the wood color or white (some light color) it will have 4 96 watt pc lights. so what do you think?

Old 07-24-2004, 01:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
when i finish building my canopy, i'll apply a white exterior paint on the inside. that's what others suggested to me, even though i'm using AHS lights with the awesome reflectors.

Old 07-24-2004, 01:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow. You used Birch plywood and your going to paint it black???? Must be nice to have a little money!

Its gorgeous, by the way.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i wanted it the same color as the stand. and that is black. the 8x4 sheet of plywood was only $50 and the oak was only $10 so that is only $60 woth of wood that is getting painted. but i look at it this way. i have put how many 1,000's in to the tank? i want the top to look just as good.

so just use exterior paint paint on the inside and the out side? sweet. will have to make a home depo run today
Old 07-26-2004, 01:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I used a the Behr exterior paint in black suede for mine. I just have primer white inside.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

did the exterior paint work ok for you?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i just put on the 2nd layer of the black (the outside of the top) and it seems to be doing great. in a few hours the white will be going on the inside
Old 07-28-2004, 11:28 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

for painting the inside of a hood I made for a FW tank, I used a can of "silver appliance spray" paint. Made for a VERY high reflective surface. Whatever paint you end up using, be sure you let it dry and cure for a few days before placing on your tank. If you can, I'd even find a way to "keep it warm" while drying. When you put your lights in there it will heat the paint and may re-release some fumes. When I did my FW tank I noticed an "oil-slick" film on top of my water after putting the hood on the tank. I let it sit for 2 days before putting it on. I think if I did it again, I'd wait a week at least.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i already put on the exterior paint. but that would be a great idea. but on well you have to save some ideas for the next tank right?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hmm..that's a good idea billyz. i may stick with a high gloss white exterior paint though.

Tags
hood, paint

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com