Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like a good idea. The sand idea is good too, but don't heat it. Just fill a tube your bending with it and it will prevent the kinking effect. And the bigger the pipe the harder the bend. I tried (and failed) to make a u-tube from 1" pvc. Ended up buying them and boy do they charge at the LFS for u-tubes. They are whacked out of their minds. I bartered some for some coral frags because I was not shelling out $16 bucks for a plastic tube just because I wasn't getting the results I wanted bending it myself. Still saved about $50 overall making an overflow box, so DIY triumphs again. Plus more fun.

75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...12473/cid/3157

looks reasonable. quite interesting even. some even has a bend radius as small as 3 inches. not bad.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I've seen that at the local HD - in the electrical couduit section (except it's grey). Problem is that the flex PVC won't keep its bend ... unless you have some way of holding it, it springs back to almost straight.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

You can use a torch to heat any size pvc either grey or white but I don't know how well it will last under pressure. So long as it is just an overflow I don't think you will have a problem. Be sure to keep the torch moving or you will have a scorch mark and heat a length longer than the bend you want to make or it will kink. I learned this trick from an electrician that was bending 2 inch pvc. Good Luck!
Old 02-15-2005, 02:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
wow. longest post that ive done so far. ive only done it with water. the first time i actualy got a bigger pipe and filled it with water then sunk the pipe i wanted bent into it. then took it out and bent it. it worked all right but filling the actual pipe with hot water works the best. i personaly wouldn't use the torch method. you would have a hardtime heating it equaly.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Thats not what I have seen. What I have seen is rather stiff. Kind of plyable vs being flexale.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
the product that billyz posted has ribbs in it too. i think someone posted about the ribs effecting flow, and you can get clear tubing at the hardware store thats the same size, and i think its cheeper too.

Tags
diy, flow, overflow, pvc, pvc overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com