The refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That may not hold. It will bow and it might pull away from the glass. Not sure though with 1/4" material. I've seen it before with 1/8".

I thought about that route. But this was so much easier.
Each container is a "bio tower".
There is a basket with filter media both blue and 100 micron pads.
The water then drains over about 3-4 gallons of blue bio balls.

equ8egej.jpg

Just rinse each pre filter basket.
And the sponges on pumps

That's it

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395625981.455655.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395625994.906290.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395626010.324379.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395626019.622952.jpg
Filled it up via bath tub hose. The chamber that will have a filter block bended while water was only on one side. But evened out once it filled up. And it will have a block of filter material so I figure that will help create resistance and help it not bend as much.

I don't suggest putting filter material in the sump. You are better off with a filter sock. Something that can be easily maintained. You will need to wash that out regularly.

Mr. X what do you suggest ? Also I'm thinking about adding a "sock" filter the overflow will go into

get one of those acrylic sock holders and put it in with the skimmer. You don't want any large particulate matter getting into the sump at all. It will eventually build up on the bottom, and will be hard to remove. Most people's sumps are in the stand and they can't get a siphon hose in there to vacuum. You'll have to find a self priming pump to do this. It's just easier to use the filter sock.

I'm just cutting a piece of left over acrylic I have to fit a sock onto. I bought a 1" bulk head today. Think that's big enough ?

LFS said its better to use bulk heads incase you take apart your sump and overflow, it won't be glued to the tank and you can just slip it out

You don't need to connect it at all. I suggest against connecting it or using hard pipe. I would use flexible drain pipe so it can be moved very easily. many folks use something like this-
Flex_Tubing%20(BG).jpg

The pipe was Going to go in the overflow. Like a 2' pipe so if power goes out my sump doesn't flood. And then on the bottom of the tank I will have one of those tubes connected to it leading into the filter sock

Oh...you mean a standpipe. Yes, you need this. The bulkhead will have to match whatever size hole is in the bottom of the overflow box.

Back
Top Bottom