Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2003, 01:47 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
I have one question... are you worried about corosion within the pipes? Like how long will it last until you need to build another to replace it?

Old 12-17-2003, 09:11 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

it's all PVC so corrosion shouldn't be an issue at all. and as far as cleaning, i'm planning on getting one of those "snake like" pipe cleaners I've seen at a few pet stores. basically a 3' long spring with a brush head at one end. Just run that down through the collection cup till it comes out the other side. But the fact that the PVC is opaque and when it's in the display tank I'll have a prefilter sponge in the bottom, I really don't think much will collect on the inside of the pipe. Besides, If I need to build another one 3 years from now... it's only $7 in PVC parts and a half hour of my time so I really won't be that upset if I have to

Old 12-22-2003, 06:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

What glue did you use to put it all together? I was thinking of getting the parts today!
Old 12-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I actualy didn't use any. If you clean up your cuts enough before you assemble, most PVC will hold itself together tight enough to not leak. BUT, I figure I will glue this for final placement in my display tank, And when I asked the same question as you the general concensus was to get regular, clear PVC cememt. I picked up a small gold can of Oatey cemet from Home Depot for just a few bucks. But tha was a while ago (and wasn't included in the total for this project, so you could probably add a couple bucks to the list, like three or four)
Old 12-24-2003, 01:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

what are the lengths of the pipe cuts??
Old 12-24-2003, 02:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

is it 6 inches?
Old 12-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

well I have constructed the overflow and refugium (thought I would show both) here are some pics! I realize its hella messy the work, but lucky noone will be able to see it through the stand (the refugium), nor through the tanks background! (the overflow). I messed up a bit in the positioning of the pipes as you can tell...
Old 12-24-2003, 05:02 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Lookin Good Electrobes! Pretty easy to make isn't it?

The long pieces were about 6 inches and all the elbow to elbow pieces were about 2 inches. If you use 1-1/2" PVC instead of 1", you can probably find "Street 90 eblows" which you can use to make the bends etc a little bit shorter, save some more space.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah it really was easy to make. I wish they made a square top instead of a circle top for the collection cup, but considering I just saved 70 odd bucks... I ain't complaining. Besides I believe my LR structure will be hiding it anyway :P - For now I am just happy to have finished, My tank is getting so many things done to it, its insane! After today the list of stuff that it will have are: 250 watt metal halide, 2X65 PC 03 actinics, Overflow, and a Refugium! I am trying to finish the list off (when the holidays end) to include a protein skimmer (DIY plans by Biotoxin), a stand to hold everything, and a cooling system (devised by justDIY). I basically got the hard part over, and will probably have to build the stand when I get back to gainesville. But I am loving it all thus far, especially the Overflow!!
Old 12-25-2003, 12:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh my dad was a genius when he told me a way to fix my isuues.. both of them. I am going to cut the verticle pipe (outside the tank) and insert a "T" joint.. connecting the two pipes again (straight this time) and the third opening (which will be closed off with a cap) will function as a holder against the back of the tank.

Tags
flow, overflow, pvc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com