Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2003, 03:59 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
Will black PVC parts make it looks better??

Old 12-27-2003, 06:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm starting my Z-Flow! I'm thinking in the future, I'm going to use an enlarging tee to make a dual collection cup set, while allowing for maximum gph. But hey, excellent idea! And off I go... at 1-**½" PVC.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:28 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
I think Billy outta get royalties!!!
Old 12-27-2003, 07:41 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
when I got mine done a couple of days ago and I so badly want to try it out along with my DIY skimmer and refugium!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:08 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey, I'd probably be willing to pay royalty. =] I built two of them, and it took roughly 45min...I used 5.5' of 1-½" PVC (messed up the first two 2" pieces trying to get the darn saw set). I'm about to go clean/glue them together because mine loosely hold, if that! I'm only going to leave the cap removable, in case I need to get into it or let some air in to break the siphon. Anyways, here are some photos...and thanks to all for their help. In the last few days, by reading this forum and chatting with its regulars, I've trimmed nearly $500 off of my estimated initial setup costs...instead of buying a manufactured refugium and overflow, I'm making(/have made!) my own. This'll let me focus all my capital on the kickin' MH hood I'm getting...that's gonna be sweet! Anyways, thanks all and I leave you with my photos! (some distortion...lost my image resizing program)
Old 12-28-2003, 05:02 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

lookin great! in reference to the cap, I would drill a small, probably 1/8th" hole in the top of the cap that is attached to the T. This will provide you with a siphon break and very little, if any, noice will escape the hole.

Anyone been able to test the flow rates with the 1-1/2" pipe?
Old 12-28-2003, 08:36 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can probably give you an estimate once I get mine up and running. The cap themselves are the only parts on the whole thing that connect VERY securely without needed glue...so I may leave them alone, as they are easily removed. Great idea though, really. =]
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:41 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

well I tried making the 1 '' model and it was siphoning so hard that it is outdoing the motor each time... is there anything I can do to fix this?? I did have a drilled hole in the cap the first time but it wasn't working.. then after replacing the cap got it to work.. but all too well. I was thinking of a ball valve or soemthing like that but then I would have to get the EXACT setting to get it to work right, for even if it was a little off.. one would start overflowing... Is there a minimal amount of GPH the motor should be spitting out...? thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 09:58 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay got it working but its super loud!....
Old 01-09-2004, 10:00 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay got it working but its super loud!.... anyway to fix that at all??? the constant sound of flushing and gurgling doesn't appease my roomate all that much.... anyway to fix that?? thanks!

Tags
flow, overflow, pvc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com