Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2004, 10:05 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
okay got it working but its super loud!.... anyway to fix that at all??? the constant sound of flushing and gurgling doesn't appease my roomate all that much.... anyway to fix that?? thanks!
Drill a small hole in the cap, this will allow air in the line and quiete the overflow.
Quote:
lookin great! in reference to the cap, I would drill a small, probably 1/8th" hole in the top of the cap that is attached to the T. This will provide you with a siphon break and very little, if any, noice will escape the hole.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where's the gurgling coming from? The intake or the outlet? (I haven't put mine into commission yet) If it is the intake, not sure how you can fix that...if it is the outlet...you can place the end of the PVC below the water line of the sump. It will still flow into the sump, as it is lower than the aquarium, so being below the water line won't hurt it. If it gurgles a lot...you may try an elbow on the end below the water line...though I'm not sure if it will help any. I discovered a building flaw in my tank, and the glass is slowly cracking outwards. It gets a ride to the manufacturer Monday to see if they'll replace it, and I'm going to ask them to put overflow(s) in the replacement for which I will pay. Sooo, I haven't been able to test mine....but those darn things are monstrous. Out of curiosity, what did you to as far as fixing the flow issue?

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:49 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
reefrunner, I already have a hole drilled and its still super loud.. I needed the hole to compensate for the water pump.. without the hole it was super siphoning. Descambre its coming from the intake.. where the hole is...
Old 01-10-2004, 12:05 AM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

How big is the hole? you may need to enlarge the hole. That cap and hole are the heart and soul of the durso/stockman part of the overflow.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I needed the hole to compensate for the water pump.. without the hole it was super siphoning
what do you mean by super siphoning? the overflow should really only take as much as your pump is supplying. So even if you have a huge overflow and tiny pump, you should only be getting a tiny flow through the overflow.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:07 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

I could see without the hole it creating suction, which would make it go in waves, or possibly overflow the sump (if the overflow was low enough and the sump was full enough), before the pump could keep up.

Old 01-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
yeah thats what was happening.. it did create a monster suction and would stop once it got no more water, and then the siphoning would stop all together and start overflowing the mian tank. I'll try the bigger hole idea... what happens if you take the cap off all together,.. would it just stop everything?
Old 01-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

ahhh, you were getting the toilet flush effect... I got cha.

It works just fine without the cap... you just hear the water gurrgling down the line. The cap/hole in its optimum form provides you with a sound muffler and siphon break. The way to get it to work is to start with the smallest hole, 1/8th inch and test. if that's not enough of a siphon break, make the hole a little bigger, test again, repeat until you're satisfied.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:35 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Try sliding a small tube down in the hole in cap. The proper size and depth may silence the noise. The tube should be snug in hole.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:31 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nguyen27 Send a message via Yahoo to nguyen27
I'm just got parts for my Z-Flow, one question about painting/darken the PVC parts, Have anyone find something to darken the PVC part, I read somewhere on here that using purple primer to paint it?
Thanks

P.S. Wish everyone a safe weekend as the cold weather still beating down on us , and don't forget to turn up the heat, my aquarium can't rise above 78 even with heat running all the time

Tags
flow, overflow, pvc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com