Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #51
AA Team Emeritus

Not completely, but certainly the largest part for having an overflow in a small tank. You still need a way to move water to the sump

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:46 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Newbie

how is this working out

I'm courious to see how this overflow setup is working out, and who is still useing it? I thinking of useing this setup on my 30g reef

Old 04-20-2005, 09:33 AM   #53
AA Team Emeritus

I think this experiment has been met with limited success by those who have tried it. I think there is still potential for the design but my own tank plans have somewhat been put on hold so i have not had the opportunity to play with as much as I had wanted to.

The good part of the design is the cost, it's quite cheap to "take a stab" at it and see if you can get the flow you want. I think there was a rather in depth review of the design in another post in this forum. here it is, take a look at that link and if you want to experiment please add your comments to that thread so we can continue to improve on it!

HTH
Old 06-16-2005, 03:09 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to baotchi
Hi guys

I found this thread about that z-flow thing and I think it is amazing. I did one, using 1" pvc, and installed it on a test tank. It flows ok, but doesn't keep primed... is there anything I did wrong? To prime it I remove the top-cap and suck air with my mouth, then I replace the cap, and it keeps flowing, but if I stop the pump, it stops and doesn't restart.

The only thing I did different is I did not put the "collection cup". So the pipe end is bare in the tank.

Any help?

thanks already,
Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Verbalkint Send a message via Yahoo to Verbalkint
Baotchi, Prolly whats going on is you didn't get all the air out of the pvc...

I primed mine by submersing it in the tank, and rotating it in all directions until i was sure 100% of the air was out of the system.

Right now, I am getting the 'super suck' effect. The siphon works GREAT, but once the water level in the main tank drops low enough, it sucks air into the system, much like a toilet flushing.

Not sure how to correct this, so I am still playing with it. Without the collection cup, it pulled the top 3" of water off my tank in less than 10 seconds. Not sure what GPH that works out to, but its impressive, to say the least. I have a submersible pump in the sump tank returning water, that flows at about 300+ gph, not sure of the exact rate.

Anyone have suggestions for the "toilet flush" effect? Once it sucks air in, that's it.. Siphon is over.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:16 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
further discussion on the Z-flow is at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=21243
Old 09-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks like mine, but mine's not working. I'm getting about 90 GPH out, it looks fully primed any suggestions?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=497456#497456
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:02 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
what if the power goes out? is that what the T thing is for? i havent really read much on overflows
Old 09-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

See concept Diagram.

The siphon takes the water over the side of the tank. The two siphon maintaining loops keep that siphon from breaking when the power goes out. The siphon break keeps those siphon maintaining loops from getting sucked dry when the power goes out. The drain is the level the water should fall to on both ends of the assembly.

Some assemblies work better than others however. The PVC one mentioned here can only handle a low flow rate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overflow_concept_diagram_145.jpg (5.2 KB, 725 views)

Tags
flow, overflow, pvc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com