Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
thinking about making some homemade sponge bio filters

What i invision needing:

air pumps for each filter i make
containers (i am going to use either cheap disposible tupperware or old fishfood containers)
filter media (carbon and sponge/floss)

what i plan to do:

fit each container with a base that is about 1/8 a way up the side from the bottom, drill with holes
fit in main tube and airline to reach below the depth of the base
fill 1/4 with gravel
fit another small barrier with holes over gravel
add 1/4 depth carbon
fit another small barier with holes over carbon
fill to top with sponge media
lid and thread thru airline and tube
attach pump
put in tank
hope for best.

does this sound like a primitive but decent plan to improve filtration/backup filter?

Anyone have any recipes

Old 07-22-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sponge and floss are ok ideas, carbon is only good for about 2 weeks and not good for a planted tank at all. As for your design, it is kinda hard to visualize but I think it is almost over complicated. A simple pvc pipe the size you want filled with the media and then a smaller pipe inside would fit the purpose better and be just as inexpensive. The old fish food container or the tupperware could be used but will not last all that long and become brittle.

If you are just looking for a backup filter then a clear tube used for fluorescent lights or a piece of 2 inch dia. schedule 40 filled with bioballs hooked up to an air pump or powerhead would serve the same purpose and be much easier. It could also be used to diffuse CO2 at the same time. You could add a sponge to the tube as a mechanical filter.

A search should turn up some other designs in the DIY forum for filters. If I decide to make one, i will post how I did it.
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote

bio, filter, filters, sponge

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com