thinking of building a fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I'm thinking about building a fish tank but not quite sure where to start I definitely want to make it out of glass and I want a big one I was thinking 6ft by 2.5 ft by 3ft which would hold about 280 gallons of water. I've been keeping fish for about 6 months and I just want something more. I've read about sumps and over flow but I'm not quiet sure what that means even though I've seen pictures it's just still not clear to me. Do I need that for a tank that big? Any advice would be great thanks guys!

What is the tank for? Fresh or saltwater?

A sump is basically another tank or other vessel that holds water, where you can add pre-filter media to remove large solids before pumping to the main filter, or a multi stage filter system where the water is filtered before being pumped back to the tank. An overflow allows water to exit the tank at a set level before flowing via gravity to the sump below.

It all depends what type of filtration you want to go for. A large sump is good if you have room, as it gives you maximum volume and surface area for very efficient filtration and may work out less expensive than using multiple electrically powered canister and / or internal power filters. It may also be more easily maintained as it is more accessible. A large sump hidden in a cabinet below the tank could house the heater/s too, so no need for those in the main tank.

Just imagine - a plastic or fibreglass sump of the same volume as the tank means twice the water volume for your fish (minus the volume of filter media of course). You could have a 280 gallon tank with a possible 500 gallon water capacity..... as long as you can hide the sump in your living space :D.... plus, just one pump!

It would be a fresh water tank.. That does sound like a lot of work haha. What else would you say I would need?

I built a big tank, it's fairly straight forward.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/cat-tank-286009.html

Save me some typing, look at the link.
Basically the same reply applies to you.
I would suggest building a more regular sized tank first. This will be important if you have never used a silicon gun. If you are handy already it should present no problems. Good luck(y)

Thank you :D will help lots. I am getting help from my father whos built a lot of stuff so it shouldn't be a problem with the silicon :p

I had an idea 8 (nearly 9) years ago, "I want fish"
I worked as a glazier at the time. I had no idea how to make a tank at the time.
Work cut the glass for free (they were expecting a laugh if I failed)
It was easy, the tank lasted me 6 years. I built three within six months of being a fish keeper, a bit like you, a kid in a sweet shop?
All much smaller than your vision. Then I built my master piece after about four years.
The sizes in litres were
162 which was 100x45x45 cms (LxDxH) a nice size first tank.
60 which is 60x30x30 this tank is still going.
45 which is roughly 46x30x30 this tank is still going.

I built a temporary 5ft x18"x18" tank, this is a decent size! It's still alive.
The 900 litre (750diy) is still going it is 1.6x.85x.75 internal size in metres.
It's a monster!

I built a few others of various sizes which I disposed of during the MOVE. They were still watertight.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/building-a-tank-287676.html

Some other guy, some more useful tips.

Back
Top Bottom