Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Planted Tank Addict

Send a message via MSN to daileene Send a message via Yahoo to daileene Send a message via Skype™ to daileene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
The valves are pretty cheap, I think you can pick them up for 2 or 3 bucks for 5 of them. And honestly I can't see it degrading the plastic valve all that quickly. I've had mine going for about 2 months and haven't noticed any degrading.
I just checked how much they cost and I found even a $1 for 10 of them. Cool. Thanks for this suggestion.

5G Planted|10G Planted|10G Planted #2|10G Paludarium #3|20G Long Planted|20G Long Planted#2
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous." (1 Cor. 13:4a)
daileene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Planted Tank Addict

Send a message via MSN to daileene Send a message via Yahoo to daileene Send a message via Skype™ to daileene
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh.oh... View Post
build a diffuser that runs on electricity (many different kinds) and have the diffuser run with the lights. No lights = no diffuser. Sure the co2 will still pump, but without diffusion, there won't really be enough to effect the ph.
hmmm...that actually sounds interesting. I just have to research again on how I can build that kind of a diffuser. thanks uh.oh.

5G Planted|10G Planted|10G Planted #2|10G Paludarium #3|20G Long Planted|20G Long Planted#2
Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why do you want the Co2 off at night?

I'm looking into DIY diffusers.

I don't want to steal your thread but I do have a quick question. If I have an extra HOB filter that i'm going to use for the purpose of co2 distribution, can I have the filter on a timer so it turns off with the lights, thus turning off the co2?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post

I don't want to steal your thread but I do have a quick question. If I have an extra HOB filter that i'm going to use for the purpose of co2 distribution, can I have the filter on a timer so it turns off with the lights, thus turning off the co2?
I actually tried this last night! It didn't go well for me I have a topfin cheap kit HOB filter that I wasn't using, put it on the timer with the lights, woke up this morning to it trying to prime. If you had a self priming HOB filter I would bet it would work.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
Planted Tank Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post

Because plants do not need CO2 during night time. they actually use oxygen during night time.

And no, it's okay that you asked that question. We are all here to learn.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
Planted Tank Addict

Quote:
I actually tried this last night! It didn't go well for me I have a topfin cheap kit HOB filter that I wasn't using, put it on the timer with the lights, woke up this morning to it trying to prime. If you had a self priming HOB filter I would bet it would work.
when you say prime, what does it mean?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well some pumps you will have to add a bit of water to get them started, other pumps you don't they start pumping without you doing anything. The ones that start pumping on their own are self priming pumps. Basically some you have to add water to (mine)to work, others you don't (not mine lol)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Planted Tank Addict

Quote:
Well some pumps you will have to add a bit of water to get them started, other pumps you don't they start pumping without you doing anything. The ones that start pumping on their own are self priming pumps. Basically some you have to add water to (mine)to work, others you don't (not mine lol)
LOL. gotcha! I have two filters that are not self-priming then. woohoo i learn something today.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Planted Tank Addict

okay, so I would scratch my small world penn plax internal filter then to act as my diffuser. I would have thought it would work as well since I changed the carbon area of it into a sponge so both sides are sponge now. it connects to the aquatech pump. so i thought, aside from the airstone that i could use in my other tank, I can use this internal filter too as my diffuser in my other tank. i was thinking of connecting the tubing from that internal filter to my DIY CO2 bubble counter that is connected to the 2 litre bottle.

but, it might be questionable if it works or not. so, to make it easier, I am just going to use something else. i will probably buy another airstone and just do it that way.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Planted Tank Addict

Okay, you experts probably are tired of me already by now, but i got one more question.

How big of a bottle generator should i use in my 5g tank? If it is less than 2 litre bottle, is the recipe the same with the 2 litre bottle? Thanks.

Tags
airstone, co2, diffuser, diy, diy co2, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com