The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i am planing to make my own top to my tank. i need to put a layer of glass/plastic between the light and the water. it is going to be less then 4" from the PC lights. what could i use that would not start on fire or melt? i really would not like to use glass unless i have no other options. thank you all have been a great help with the project.

plexiglass will easily warp under the heat of the bulbs, and it's own weight.

Try finding lexan or lucite. much more rigid/durable stuff...but triple the cost.

Is this going to be a saltwater tank? If so why put anything there? If you must have something then use eggcrate. You dont want to inhibit gas exchange unless you have to.

well it is not goign to be over the water. what my plan was was to just have the "glass" over the lights. i would still have like 4-5 inches of extra space over the water and then have the back open. it was just to stop the water from getting on the light. it would be no different then the glass on like th CSL units. just that there would be a front and it would look better. do you get what i am trying to say? or are you still lost?

Ya I understand. I fyou get plexi thats fairly thick as well as install some vent slits and a fan to pull cool air into the unit the plexi should not become to soft.

ok. thank you. i was just thinking that it might get vary soft and then fall out. but i was thinking of putting 2-3 fan pulling air out from one end and then have holes on the other side to let the air in. to make a long tunnle like. that is how my CSL hood is now. one fan pulling air out and then an opening the let the air in.

ok i am going out tonight to get the wood for the top. do you think i should go with 3/4 in plywood or 1/2 in polywood. or could i get away with like 1/4 in?

Back
Top Bottom