Toying with reflector design.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know if there are reflectors like this, Since I've never seen one.

However, As you can see in the file " Reflectorold " Most reflectors I've ever seen are shaped like this, and have any number of bends that let it just wrap around the bulb.

Now I was thinking, No matter how nice the reflector is... Its still reflecting alot of light [ and heat ] back into the bulb itself.

Well, What can we do to fix that?

This is where my brainstorm came in.

What if reflectors were shaped like the file " reflector ", You notice the spike in the middle just above the bulb?

That will devide the light at such an angle that when it hits the other parts of the reflector the light is focused downward and not back into the bulb, Getting much more light out of the reflector unit and down into the tank, as well as increasing bulb life since they won't be heated near as much with this design.

This would work on all types of bulbs, even MH and CF, The generic circle there just gives bulb location, not for use on tube flourescents only. :)

Well, what do you think of my idea?

Unfortunately, this is nothing but scribbled ideas on paper.

I have access to neither a light Intensity Meter or a facility to bend and polish the aluminum to make the reflector prototype.

If you can polish it I can tell you how to get it bent :D . Find a guy doing vinal siding, they have a metal brake to bend flashings for trim. if he is good he could bend it for you.

I don't know anyone with access to that kind of equipment tho :\

I do know of a metal shop, tho... if its still open I mean.

I don't know if I could swing the expense of a experiment tho, funds are tight until I find a new job.

I agree with the metal shop idea. A lot of places can do custom bends, and what you want wouldn't really be that hard to do, you could probably almost do it with 2 clamps, a 2x4, and the edge of a table.

For the center spike tho, It'd have to be a sharp bend, As close to a point as possible.

I don't know if I could get that with a 2x4

I'll see if their still open 1, and get a price on getting a piece of 1/8aluminium bent and polished.

Then I'll dismantle one of my stock striplights and mount the bulb in the new reflector and see if the ammount of light reflected is different.

Not saying this will all be done tomarrow, just the plan.

Better yet, put a reflective coating on the top half of the bulb. This will reflect all of the light in the downward direction. What kind of coating to use? I don't know. But thi is typically done in car headlights and industrial applications.

Jim

Also if you are thinking of using HID lighting, you may want to drill small 1/8 holes on the apex "above" the bulb. This will allow for heat to be channeled out and behind the reflector and carried out by a fan. The cooler you keep this area the longer the bulb will last. The small holes will not effect the reflecting too much. Of course you may lose some but I don't think you will be able to measure it.

Mike

I'm not using it for any type of bulb ATM.

I was just sitting here, contemplating and planning the hood I'll build for my new SW tank and just thought " Heat makes bulbs die quicker, reflectors reflect heat back into the bulb... *lightbulb* Lets just do thisS "

I am planning on building 2 lights for my 125 gallon. I may try your design, just for the hell of it. We can see how it works out. I have access to a break fro bending and light meter for testing. I just need the time to do this. If I get to this in the next week or so I will contact you and let you know how it turns out. I will post some pics also.

Mike

Flat white reflects more than polished steel, only thing better is a mirror.

Back
Top Bottom