Triming Glass top???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I purchased 2 glass tops to go on top of my 55 gal tank. The glass tops are about 3/16th too long to sit down inside the trim like my old plastic tops did. Can I trim a quarter inch off of the glass tops?? If so how??
Or should I try to shave off some of the plastic trim?
The glass top now sits all cockeyed and falls in when I try to open it.

Hmmm, the glass canopy tops are a standard size...What brand is the tank you have? you may have to special order them... I don't know if you have ever cut glass before, but 1/4 inch is very hard to do without messing up... Best to take those back and try another pair... Or contact the manufacturer of the tank...

can't use a glass cutter for something that small. If you happen to have a belt sander, that is the easiest way to trim down glass...just sand the edges down...It'll eat through the belts quickly, so have extra.

The exact thing happened to me, and I returned the glass tops and found that my LFS had a set for a 55gal, rather than the 2 sets of glass tops that fit a 20 gal (I had been told that the two openings are the same as a 20gal). My husband and I tried to think of ways to cut that small amount of glass, and decided it was not worth it!

Back
Top Bottom