Trying DIY LED's, need a little help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe run it off of 3 alkaline cells and have a voltage regulator. With 12v the lifespan of an led is being sacrificed. To run it off of 3.2v and use ohm's law to find the appropriate resistor for the current rating of the led. The internal resistance of an led changes. I was wrong about not needing a resistor. If you give me the exact setup of the whole arrangement along with the ratings/link to the led i will be glad to help.

Link119 said:
Maybe run it off of 3 alkaline cells and have a voltage regulator. With 12v the lifespan of an led is being sacrificed. To run it off of 3.2v and use ohm's law to find the appropriate resistor for the current rating of the led. The internal resistance of an led changes. I was wrong about not needing a resistor. If you give me the exact setup of the whole arrangement along with the ratings/link to the led i will be glad to help.

Well I already built this one, but if I build another ill remember to talk to you, thanks!

If hes using right sized resistors LED life won't be sacrificed no matter what voltage. Just need bigger resistors for more voltage, although battery life would be reduced.

Personally I wouldn't use batteries as I hate changing them. Although they should last a while with low output leds.

Some of those cheep garden solar lights could do a similar job.

Is there any other purpose for moon light other than it looks cool?

obedey said:
If hes using right sized resistors LED life won't be sacrificed no matter what voltage. Just need bigger resistors for more voltage, although battery life would be reduced.

Personally I wouldn't use batteries as I hate changing them. Although they should last a while with low output leds.

Some of those cheep garden solar lights could do a similar job.

Is there any other purpose for moon light other than it looks cool?

Yeah, this was just a thrown together thing. I'm not sacrificing life, I have the right resistor, I did it all up right. And for fw, nope. Just looks cool:)

Ok, i understand...
Do you have a timer? If its in a room where its not light all the time a simple addition would be a photocell which is a resistor that adds resistance in the darkness. It would make your tank the opposite of a nightlight (Bright during the day) and it is a simple addition.

Link119 said:
Ok, i understand...
Do you have a timer? If its in a room where its not light all the time a simple addition would be a photocell which is a resistor that adds resistance in the darkness. It would make your tank the opposite of a nightlight (Bright during the day) and it is a simple addition.

I don't think I'm understanding..

Its just a little addition... Quite simple too! I dont think you need extra help with hooking it up, just be sure to put the photocell where the leds wont affect the photocell.

Back
Top Bottom