Trying to build my first sump and plumb it into my acrylic aquariun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsay1718

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any tips for my 1st sump build? I am using a 20 long and have not figured out design. I am getting an in sump reef octopus so that will be in 1st area. I understand what a bubble catcher does, duh, but how is the acrylic glued in the to be most affective. How tall do my baffles need to be? I was thinking of putting deep sand bed a/ live rock in middle the what goes last? Should the return pump be equal to that of my skimmer? Recommendations on return pumps? Any links to designs would be great! Any help at all would be great! What keeps it from over spilling if power is off? Thanks. :)

Lindsay

Lindsay1718 said:
Ok, so I now understand the concept of tge sump I will have the

Ok so I pressed send to soon. Ok 1st the skimmer, should I have a filter sock on the pipe bringing water to sump? Then I will have fuge area then output pump in last compartment. How does that sound to everyone? Oh yeah with bubble trap after skimmer. Ok so my concern now is the plumbing from tank to sump. I have another thread that turned into this but I think it needs to be here. Can someone please help with suggestions on drilled vs not drilled. If a drilled tank needs overflow box? Where drill holes should be? Any pics of your tank would go a long way. My tank is acrylic so it shouldn't be hard to drill. Thanks.

Lindsay

I just did all that on my new tank. I used drilled holes and made my own sump and overflow box with acrylic. Here are a few pics. I am about three weeks into my cycle and have had no plumbing issues.

Attachments

• image-1547165116.jpg
    image-1547165116.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3968049784.jpg
    image-3968049784.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 158
  • image-2960318808.jpg
    image-2960318808.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 162
No, you don't need an overflow box if you drill. Jus a bulkhead on the top of the tank on the side or back, with something to prevent the fish from talking a ride. Just put a strainer. And I wouldn't put any mechanical filtration (sponges, socks). It's unnecessary IME/IMO.

crister13 said:
No, you don't need an overflow box if you drill. Jus a bulkhead on the top of the tank on the side or back, with something to prevent the fish from talking a ride. Just put a strainer. And I wouldn't put any mechanical filtration (sponges, socks). It's unnecessary IME/IMO.

What should I use to seed my quarentine tank?

Lindsay

Back
Top Bottom