Trying to design an all in one aquarium filter action system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nilesh7318

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just trying to design a multifunctional aquarium filtration system as described below. Can you make any comments that n how you feel about it. Also any suggestions to include any more systems and improvement. This is still in the design stage and will have to actually check how it operates and functions. Are there any similar systems in the market currently. Is there any demands for this kind of system in the market.

A. FILTER system: This will comprise of a normal filtration system such as floss, chemical and biological elements. Also it will have UV and water heater.

B. WATER MANAGEMENT System: This system manages the aquarium system such as cleaning, flow control etc. This system comprises of ,
1. Water skimmer: This works just like a waterfall, by which all impurity and floating debris is separated.
2. Gravel cleaner: This will clean the gravel by creating a water pressure around the gravel and displace the dirt on the gravel.
3. Water flow in the tank: This will keep a continuous water flow around the tank, for better course circulation of water.
4. Automatic water change: This system works continuously to replace water in the system.
5. Pre-Filter: This filter is before the pump inlet and main filter.

The UV part would need to truly be capable of killing bacteria, algae, parasites, etc. Many are under sized for the aquarium they are used on.

The water management sounds mainly what I do (although I do it all manually) - remove floating leaves, light vacuum and water change. I’ve lost track of ugf’s. I think at one stage they pushed water from gravel to tank? The ones I had pulled water into tank so tank bottom was always full of muck.

Most of this can be done with a sump set up. Only thing I can't wrap my
head around is the automatic gravel cleaning... Detritus would be washed
off the substrate into tank water for the mechanical filter to catch?

Right now I'm designing a top mounted hydroponic sump for some additional
nitrate removal, and a place to populate bio-media. It's fun to design this
stuff, but your plans are a bit beyond my ability.

From a tank set up (drilled and plumbed) for a traditional sump, you
can easily set up:

An autofill
A pre-filter
Water skimmer

Auto water change is complicated, because you'd want to de-gas water
going into the tank, so it would most likely be held in a tank, and pumped
out by a pump that's stopped by a float switch or optical sensor in the aquarium.
This could also auto-fill your tank with some creative thinking. 2 birds one
stone thing.

To accurately measure the water coming out of the aquarium, the opposite
can be done. To drain water from the aquarium, have an optical/float sensor
in the drain tank. It fills to a precise level, then the switch shuts off
the pump draining the tank. A timed drain valve can dump that water into your septic system,
or have a pump push it out to your garden.

A couple of timers, or a set of timed relays can be adjusted to get the job
done automatically. Make sense?

Safe guards for flooding the house would need to be plumbed into the fill tank,
and the aquarium probably with overflows (easiest/most reliable).

Not something for your living room, that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom