Trying to soak drift wood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a peace of driftwood that I want in my tank. It is too large to boil. I have it soaking, and I was wondering if anyone knew how long it will take to water log and sink. I have it weighted down underwater in a large barrel.

I have a peace of driftwood that I want in my tank. It is too large to boil. I have it soaking, and I was wondering if anyone knew how long it will take to water log and sink. I have it weighted down underwater in a large barrel.

It's hard to tell. I've had pieces that took weeks or months. Some days and other pieces I just have up on. Do you have a pic? What type of wood is it?

It's hard to tell. I've had pieces that took weeks or months. Some days and other pieces I just have up on. Do you have a pic? What type of wood is it?

I have no idea what type it is. I found it at the lake.

Attachments

• image-3343240349.jpg
    image-3343240349.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image-851826814.jpg
    image-851826814.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 118
2nd piece looks pretty cool! I'd keep at it. Use hot hot water and keep changing it out when it gets that tea color.

2nd piece looks pretty cool! I'd keep at it. Use hot hot water and keep changing it out when it gets that tea color.

Yeah I really like it too. I'm thinking of using it as a sorta cave. I am doing this outside and I don't have any hot water out there.

You can boil a large pot of hot water and dump it in the bucket. Hot water helps release tannins faster. It's a bit more of a pain to boil water all the time but it should get things moving along.

You can boil a large pot of hot water and dump it in the bucket. Hot water helps release tannins faster. It's a bit more of a pain to boil water all the time but it should get things moving along.

You could try a cooler instead of a bucket; it will help retain the heat longer.
After soaking a couple of weeks (it was still floating) I ended up drilling a hole in a small piece of slate and driving a stainless steel through that and the DW. Slate is buried in the substrate so it is not visible.

You could try a cooler instead of a bucket; it will help retain the heat longer.
After soaking a couple of weeks (it was still floating) I ended up drilling a hole in a small piece of slate and driving a stainless steel through that and the DW. Slate is buried in the substrate so it is not visible.

I thought of using slate but it is pretty big. By the way can I get slate at Home Depot.

I thought of using slate but it is pretty big. By the way can I get slate at Home Depot.

Yes it would be a shame to attach it to a piece of slate and still have it floating around.
You might be able to get it at Home Depot in the garden section. Also check in the flooring and tile section. You may check for broken sections in the cutting area.
Another place to check are garden stores. They often have a broken stone dumping area and you can browse through and get what you need for a fraction of the cost.

Yes it would be a shame to attach it to a piece of slate and still have it floating around.
You might be able to get it at Home Depot in the garden section. Also check in the flooring and tile section. You may check for broken sections in the cutting area.
Another place to check are garden stores. They often have a broken stone dumping area and you can browse through and get what you need for a fraction of the cost.

Glad to hear that. I really want to DIY a slate cave. I have some pictus catfish that are always in a turf war over an artificial log. That is one reason I want the drift wood, but the slate may be even better

I usually just say screw it and suction cup it to the bottom of my tank :)

Back
Top Bottom