Turtle Aquarium Re-Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humphries466

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could walk through my build with me because I am not that confident and it all gets a tad confusing.

So I have a turtle tank and it's running ok at the moment but I want to re-design it for a few different reasons. What I am currently running is two 'pipe' overflows that allowed me to not drill the aquarium. It's not the ideal set up.

Firstly I want to put on an overflow box with a durso overflow. I want to use the side mounted version. Because it's a turtle tank I will potentially need a varying level of water so drilling wasn't ideal for me but it would be the best option I think. Overflow box isn't really an option as the water level is lower than a normal aquarium (they don't make them like that?), besides, it's a hassle if they fail. I can always vary the height of the weir, I guess. I would only have 1 bulkhead. The risk of overflow isn't a problem as it's a turtle tank and it has extra room in the tank for the water encase of an emergency. I am thinking of a 32mm (1.25") bulkhead which would need to overflow ~3000 lph (>800gph). I would need a weir that is 30 cm (12"). I was planning on possibly making this myself as I have the parts (could be dangerous if I don't make it watertight). would make it 3 sided and have one side connected to the glass wall (good idea?) (I realize I can't use the side wall area in the 30 cm weir measurement). What size pipe should I be using?

I'm not sure if that would be noisy? Some people say you need two overflows. It's in a bedroom so it needs to be quiet.

The external durso standpipe (the Tee that is out of the tank) needs to be a size above the internal measurements? I have heard this but am not sure.

I want to also attach the overflow line with Spa tube or whatever they call it. I am finding this very hard to source in Australia. This would go from the Tee in the standpipe and ball valve to the DIY trickle filter underneath.

Return lines would be two separate pumps with two separate lines that are attached with spa tube and some PVC on the end.

I will try to avoid barb fittings as these limit flow. I am looking at just using a couple of clamps on the ends.

Lots of questions. Please tell me your thoughts. Thanks a lot.

Scrap that. I found the pipe under 'pond tube'. I should be able to get some. Maybe not locally but I can work it out. Looks like it will meet my requirements.

So basically I am wanting some help with the Durso standpipe and the measurements. 32mm (1.25") Bulkhead and 40mm (1.5") pipe for the standpipe? Looking to overflow ~3000 lph (<800 gph)

I will use a gate or ball valve (using a size up to avoid flow loss).

The weir I will either DIY or buy.

Looking for anyone who has done something similar before with any tips or anyone who sees a problem with my design.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom