Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to SnailPowered
Cool Twin 20g build

Recently I bought two 20g tanks for $75. One has the filter, light, heater, gravel and a few decorations. The other is missing the filter but has everything else. I just bought two hoods with T5 HO for them, 2x6500k and 2 pink bulbs with moonlights for the display tank and 2x6500k bulbs for the bottom tank. I will be using all purpose sand from Loewes or Home Depot for substrate. I will be drilling the rear of the display tank for my overflow and return then I will section off the lower tank as a refugium type filter system. I will post pictures as I get all my supplies in. The first pic is the display tank as received, then the filter tank and the third pic is my current 12g with the All Purpose sand as substrate.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Following.

Cool skull

Sent from my Epic 4G

Old 04-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, so after long ado here are some more pics. I got it up and running with no fish and I will share the details in my next post. For now I am short on time

This is the brass bulkheads in the display tank. Not the best idea honestly but it is what they had at the Home Depot near me.

These are the fittings on the stand next to the display tank. I will make a full list of the materials I used in a later post.

The sump tank with plexi-glass dividers. They are siliconed in place.

This is the view behind the tank so you can see the plumbing looking down. Bad prior planning made the drain and returns cross.

The Flora-Max made the tank REALLY cloudy. I am going to see if it clears up while I'm gone for 9 days.

So far it works mostly as it is supposed to but I think my drain is a little bit too small. Sorry for the short post but I will update with the list of parts used as soon as I can! Thanks for looking.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, so a list of what I used:

2 - 20G standard fish tanks
2 - 18"x24" pieces of plexi-glass
2 - brass swamp cooler drain fittings
1 - 10' section of 1/2" PVC pipe
1 - PVC slip T fitting
1 - 1/2" threaded - 5/8" barbed 90deg fitting (white)
1 - T fitting with combination 5/8" barb and 1/2" threaded fitting (gray)
1 - 1/2" PVC ball valve
1 - 1/2" 90degree elbow slip to threaded connection
1 - 1/2" brass threaded fitting to 5/8" barbed
1 - roll of thread sealant tape
2 - tubes of Loctite Silicone Adhesive (aquarium safe)
1 - .5 cubic foot bag of paver leveling sand
1 - bag of Flora-max

The lights and pump I bought on eBay from topdogsellers. The display tank light came with 2 - 6500K bulbs and 2 - actinic blue bulbs with 8 - moonlight LEDs. The sump light came with 2 - 6500K bulbs and in the box there were also 2 - 10,000K bulbs separately packaged. The lights have external ballasts with power switches and the for the display tank fixture there are three cords. They came set up with two 6500K/Actinic pairs on separate plugs then the LEDs have a plug as well. I bought the same lights in 48" configuration for my 75g tank that is set-up at my brother's house and I am nothing short of impressed! He has been running them for about two weeks now and there has not been a single issue. The pump is the smallest one they had which is 500gph which is definitely overkill for my set up.

While it "technically" works some things that I realized are that I did NOT use a large enough drain pipe. The 1/2" I.D. PVC pipe is too small to allow anywhere near enough water to flow. I need to replace the bulkhead fitting and all the drain lines but I didn't have time before a business trip. Feel free to ask any questions or provide comments!! Thanks for following along.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks good so far

Tags
20 gallon, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com